MOTTLED COCHIN THREAD~!

Pics
A few years ago I had 8 or so cochin bantams - black - they were so wonderful and we loved the little eggs I decided it was time to get more cochins, I ordered Mottled cochins because of the mottled cochins here.

So today I have 6 little mottled cochin bantams 5 pullets and 1 rooster. I am so looking forward to watching them grow!

Caroline

A few years ago I had 8 or so cochin bantams - black - they were so wonderful and we loved the little eggs I decided it was time to get more cochins, I ordered Mottled cochins because of the mottled cochins here.

So today I have 6 little mottled cochin bantams 5 pullets and 1 rooster. I am so looking forward to watching them grow!

Caroline

love.gif

Caroline

I must avoid mottled cochin chick photos so I don't get an itch and end up growing out chickens in my basement all winter long.
big_smile.png

It does no good for me to avoid the photos. I set every egg not sold that they lay. I hatch year around and always have some new rooster or older pullet I want to get babies out of to see if I have made improvements or like what they are crossed with. It is a bantam Cochin addiction but Mottleds have taken over here at my farm! LOL

Hey everyone!!
I'm looking at getting some new chicks, and I'm between Mottled Cochins and Silkies, what do you all think?:) I was originally thinking Silkies, but seeing these GORGEOUS hens I'm starting to lean the other way!!!
D.gif
O don't know anything about silkies....................................................................., but I LOVE my Cochins !!

I have had both, Cochins and silkies are very social but I think Cochins have more personality, I had 2 Cochins that would free range my yard and would come running when they saw me, the silkies not so much, I unfortunately lost them to a predator and have not replaced them but if I find the right chicks I will so I would go with Cochins u won't be disappointed just spend a lot of time with them.

Silkies are adorable to be sure. A couple things I found cons over cochins: Their feathers did not insulate them a.s well in cold weather as cochins. Their heads are super cute, but they either can't see well, or you need to trim their feathers back. This means they can't see you, or predators from above very well. I did find they were a lot easier to pick up than cochins, but probably because they couldn't see me coming. :) I also didn't like they tend to sleep in piles on the floor instead of roosting on perches. They always tried to sleep under our cochins, yuck!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I was hoping to get chicks, but I ended up getting three hens from a family friend, all are mixed breeds with who-knows-what, but two are very strongly cochin, and I think a little mottled as well:) They may not be pure-bred but I think they are adorable! They even have puffy cheeks:)

Thank you for the advice! :frow

Back
Top Bottom