MOTTLED COCHIN THREAD~!

Pics
Look what I got in the mail today! They got the full chicken "spa" treatment upon arrival including bath with shampoos, Frontline, Sevin and DE in bedding. Can't stand crawlies on my chickens... I'm very happy with them type-wise, although they have more growing in to do.

Wow love that blue mottled Sarah!

Every time I think I am getting the genetics thing down I am confident in what SHOULD pop out of the egg but then doesn't HMMM back to genetics 101 for me

Look what I got in the mail today! They got the full chicken "spa" treatment upon arrival including bath with shampoos, Frontline, Sevin and DE in bedding. Can't stand crawlies on my chickens... I'm very happy with them type-wise, although they have more growing in to do.

love.gif

Splash Mottled rooster. He was hatched in March of this year. They boys got into there first argument. That is why the boy above has black on his comb. They are back to getting along again. I purchased both these guys from a well known breeder. I would like to hear any comments on how they are developing. Its so hard to judge them from pics! Especially when they didn't want to pose. Thanks for any feedback. Positive or negative!

Thanks for the genetics comments but I am long past knowing all that. (Forgive me sounding arrogant. I do not mean it that way!) I studied genetics for years and years in mammals but poultry is a bit different and peafowl is going to destroy what brain cells I have left.

I think the reason I have a hard time with poultry genetics is so many people tell me different things. They say "Chickens can't carry blue but can be split to blue". Yeah...how is that different? In my book it is the same thing.

I have the Sigrid Book of Color Genetics and need to read it but my time is limited these days. I enjoy talking with you all much better!

Punnet squares are fun but much too basic for me. I studied with those while in college which was ....a lot of years ago. LOL
My daughter bred Guinea Pigs for years for exhibition and her school teacher actually asked her to instruct the class on genetics when they were learning that phase in high school. Her teacher said she had never understood it in all the years she taught it until my daughter showed them how to understand without the book. A friend helped me learn about cavy genetics and it came more easily to me because of the genetic codes I already knew and my daughter learned along with me and absorbed it well.

Thanks for the genetics comments but I am long past knowing all that. (Forgive me sounding arrogant. I do not mean it that way!) I studied genetics for years and years in mammals but poultry is a bit different and peafowl is going to destroy what brain cells I have left.

I think the reason I have a hard time with poultry genetics is so many people tell me different things. They say "Chickens can't carry blue but can be split to blue". Yeah...how is that different? In my book it is the same thing.

I have the Sigrid Book of Color Genetics and need to read it but my time is limited these days. I enjoy talking with you all much better!

Punnet squares are fun but much too basic for me. I studied with those while in college which was ....a lot of years ago. LOL
My daughter bred Guinea Pigs for years for exhibition and her school teacher actually asked her to instruct the class on genetics when they were learning that phase in high school. Her teacher said she had never understood it in all the years she taught it until my daughter showed them how to understand without the book. A friend helped me learn about cavy genetics and it came more easily to me because of the genetic codes I already knew and my daughter learned along with me and absorbed it well.

Haha, thanks for letting me know - I will stop lecturing you. Just trying to be helpful but it is hard to know who has what understanding of things. Hopefully it was helpful to someone.
smile.png

You weren't lecturing. It is wonderful to talk about the genetics and the breeding of the birds.
I have yet to dip into understanding a lot of the blue but only because I read so many different things about it. And since I am studying peafowl genetics I really do not want to get too much going on at one time. Though the peas are getting much easier the more I study and learn about them.

I thank you for talking about the breeding and genetics. I think right now I am just too tired to discuss much but it is getting better now that my hectic weeks are past me. I hope.
You certainly did not offend me, I just wanted you to know that I do understand what you are saying and what you said probably helped many others on here.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom