Mottled Java!!

Got my first M. Java egg a couple days ago and another today. First egg came at a couple days over 23 weeks, FYI.

Last edited:
She is doing terrific so far! She is living with 3 black Langshan, and 1 blue Langshan, plus 3 blue Marans chicks. :) The other Mottled Java that I am hoping will hatch are due in 8 days.

My java is laying big very light brown eggs better than I expected. 7 in the last 9 days. Probably averaging 5.5 a week. Just FYI for new owners.

Last edited:
That's a great rate! What's the weather like where you are? Noticed if it matters at all?

Haven't had chickens long enough to know yet.

It's hot, though. I'm in NW Florida. Their entire coop and run is covered during the day. I give them fruit like grapes, melon, and cucumbers at lunch. I give them extra protein like fish and eggs. They are on layer pellets. I utilize red wheat in the place of scratch and they get a handful a day between the three birds. They also get to free range in the evenings for a couple hours.

I've read not to give snacks if they are on layer feed, but I have gotten 24 eggs in the last 9 days from 3 young hens, so I must be doing something right. The Java is laying the least just slightly, but I am pleasantly surprised with her production and the eggs are the biggest of the three.

Poor thing is by far the most clueless free ranger, though. Haha. She scratches away, but doesn't end up with much while the other two have mouthfuls of worms and bugs.

Last edited:
Update on Peppa..

After 10 straight days of laying my 6.5 mo old girl has gone severely broody. Been about 5 days. I have to put her down in the run to drink because it's so hot. She drinks and runs right back to the nest.

Wish I had a couple fertile Java eggs for the poor thing. Id have to give the chicks away though.

Last edited:
Here's 4 of my hours-old Mottled Java. Two more to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom