Mottled Silkies?...Calling out for Silkie Experts.

Mother is black. Gramma is black f1 sizzle with teeny white spits on tips of poof Grampa blue Wheaton silkie. Dad is Black Silkie. So baby is 7/8 silkie and possibly mottled?

Thank you for telling me about the birch in color, though. He is out of a black frizzled Cochin bantam and a splash silkie. All his hatch mates are solid black. We got a few with the frizzled feathers and some that were smooth, but I had no idea what color to call him.

Well it's a smooth feathered variety. I know it's a sizzle because I hatched it. Am just curious as to what color it is.
Sizzles have both frizzled and silkie feathering. The frizzle gene is a dominant gene, so if a bird carries it, it's expressed. Silkie feathering is recessive so even if one parent is a Silkie, the chicks may carry a silkie feathering gene, but it won't express.
You bird does not have a frizzle gene, therefore it can not be called a sizzle, it's simply a mixed breed.

Hmm I see what you are saying about the feathers and I am kind of confused. How do u get regular feathers out of a silkie/ frizzle cross? Is that something that happens a lot? I knew there was about a 50 percent chance of smooth feathers, but what is the percentage of smooth and not Silkie feathers either?

Hmm I see what you are saying about the feathers and I am kind of confused. How do u get regular feathers out of a silkie/ frizzle cross? Is that something that happens a lot? I knew there was about a 50 percent chance of smooth feathers, but what is the percentage of smooth and not Silkie feathers either?
Frizzle is dominant, it only needs one gene to express. Most frizzles only have one gene. Two frizzles should never be bred, the chicks with two copies of the gene are not healthy, long-living birds. Are frizzle bred to a non-frizzle will produce about 50% frizzle chicks and about 50% smooth feathered chicks.
Silkie feathering is recessive. Both parents must have a silkie feathering gene for the chicks to have silkie feathering. If you cross a Silkie with a non-silkie, there is no chance for chicks with silkie feathering, but they may be carriers of the gene. You won't know which chick is carrying that silkie gene until you breed them back to Silkies.
With your choice of cross breed, you have 0 chance of producing a sizzle. Sizzles have both silkie feathering and frizzled feathering. Your Silkie will breed like a smooth feathered bird unless paired to another Silkie or a bird carrying the silkie feathering gene. So that means the only possible outcomes for feathering regarding your pairing would be 50% frizzled and 50% smooth feathered.

Where are you getting your info? Everyone I've talked to including some breeders say you cross frizzle Cochins with a Silkie to get Sizzles. I talked to one breeder at length about what I hatched and was not told this at all. I think the main thing is that is my first generation breeding. The feathering and quality gets better as you keep breeding.

Back
Top Bottom