Mottled Silkies?...Calling out for Silkie Experts.

It's basic chicken genetics. You will not get sizzles with your first generation crossing. In order to get the silkie part of the sizzle equation, you need a silkie feathering gene from both parents. You can breed the frizzled chicks back to a Silkie, and then you will have a chance to get frizzled, silkied, smooth, or sizzle.

Her smooth feathered birds don't have Silkie characteristics at all and they are the 15th generation!! Look at the Picts. Well let me rephrase....the feathers don't. They have black skin, five toes, walnut comb, dark eyes. Mine has that too. But to say they aren't Sizzles because they have smooth feathers or were from a Cochin/Silkie cross is not accurate and confusing.

Here is a link, if you scroll down you can see her pictures of smooth feathered varieties so yes there r smooth feathered Sizzles and they are still Sizzles...this has totally confused me http://californiacountryranch.blogspot.com/p/sizzle-chicks-overdose-of-cute-showpet.html?m=1 ok so from what I can see and what I have been told from people that are breeding and showing Sizzles my guy is completely fine. I do appreciate the color tip though.
Smooth sizzles carry the silkie gene. Yours are first generation, so it's not known which chicks have that silkie gene. You will need to do a few breedings with those chicks to figure out which ones are carrying that silkie gene and which aren't. They need birds without the frizzle gene because breeding two birds with the frizzle gene results in very sickly, poorly feathered birds.

Ok I understand that this is first generation and that these are not my end goal chicks. I am going to continue breeding. I do know not to breed frizzle to frizzle. I'm not flying by the seat of my pants. I am contacting lots of breeders to find out real info because what's out here is confusing. I had to go back and look at emails and blogs after you said I had to breed A fizzled Silkie to a silkie to get a Sizzle. That is not accurate and it's frustrating for someone who is actually really working on this.

It's basic chicken genetics. You will not get sizzles with your first generation crossing. In order to get the silkie part of the sizzle equation, you need a silkie feathering gene from both parents. You can breed the frizzled chicks back to a Silkie, and then you will have a chance to get frizzled, silkied, smooth, or sizzle.
I did not say breed a frizzled silkie to a Silkie. I said breed your frizzled chicks back to a Silkie. That way, you can figure out which of your frizzles is carrying the silkie gene. Getting that silkie feathering gene established takes quite a bit more work than a simple A plus B breeding.

Frizzle is dominant, it only needs one gene to express. Most frizzles only have one gene. Two frizzles should never be bred, the chicks with two copies of the gene are not healthy, long-living birds. Are frizzle bred to a non-frizzle will produce about 50% frizzle chicks and about 50% smooth feathered chicks.
Silkie feathering is recessive. Both parents must have a silkie feathering gene for the chicks to have silkie feathering. If you cross a Silkie with a non-silkie, there is no chance for chicks with silkie feathering, but they may be carriers of the gene. You won't know which chick is carrying that silkie gene until you breed them back to Silkies.
With your choice of cross breed, you have 0 chance of producing a sizzle. Sizzles have both silkie feathering and frizzled feathering. Your Silkie will breed like a smooth feathered bird unless paired to another Silkie or a bird carrying the silkie feathering gene. So that means the only possible outcomes for feathering regarding your pairing would be 50% frizzled and 50% smooth feathered.

Right here you said my choice of breeding will never result in a Sizzle. I think we r getting nowhere. I crossed my frizzle Cochin with a silkie and that is how you get Sizzles, no matter whether they r smooth feathered or frizzled. From here I will continue breeding to quality birds to improve my future Sizzles.

Her smooth feathered birds don't have Silkie characteristics at all and they are the 15th generation!! Look at the Picts. Well let me rephrase....the feathers don't. They have black skin, five toes, walnut comb, dark eyes. Mine has that too. But to say they aren't Sizzles because they have smooth feathers or were from a Cochin/Silkie cross is not accurate and confusing.

Serious sizzle breeders are calling smooth feathered birds that have all the characteristics except for frizzling "smooth sizzles." Basically smooth sizzles and frizzled sizzles. Sizzles never have silkied feathering; that makes them a silkie.

Back
Top Bottom