Mottled/Spangled Orpingtons

Pics
The Pure English Spangle/Mottle Orpington in general have been known to be the best layers, and fertility is exceptionally high. As most breeder state' "these are among the best Orpingtons" they have every owned and have been involved with. I also find out of all of the colors that we raise on our farm the Spangle/Mottles are by far the best "laying machines" and make wonderful eye candy in your yard!. Not all English Orpington colors lay eggs on a consistent volume. These have certainly have been our favorite color on our farm and for many others too!

Young Spangle/Mottle pullets...

Last edited:
Quote:
The Spangle/Mottles that were recently bred from Marc Sacres bloodlines and were recently bred into the Jubilees (Greenfire and Bob Follows Jubilees) to make a more diverse bloodlines, since there were no other Spangle/Mottles in the country to cross into during that time...this does not not take away the quality of the Spangle/Mottle but rather strengthens the breeding line.

Last edited:
Outcrossing to BBS lines to diversify your Mottled flock will work just as well, if not better, than breeding to Jubes.

Then you don't have to worry about red/mahogany genes lurking in your Mottled flock.

smile.png

ETA: You could use Lavender and Chocolate, too.

Last edited:
Lavender would be the last thing I would put to a spangled bird, the feather issues in the lavender should stay in the lavender and not be introduced to other patterns... just saying. and having been speaking with a breeder, black is the better way to go, Jubilee in a pinch but you will get birds with red leakage and its hard to get rid of, Black will take some time but is your best choice. I think Chocolate would also haunt you in the end. brown feathers popping out. stick to black is what I was told if your going to use another color to widen the gene pool

Black, or even Blue would certainly be the easiest, with some dedication though Chocolate and Lavender Mottled could be beautiful colors.

You're right though, with all the issues in Lav it just seems like cruel and unusual punishment to introduce another set of genes to work with in that variety.
lol.png

I really do want to see someone develop some nice Blue Mottled birds, preferably still with crisp, distinct lacing. If you could get it right you'd have a bird that would be reminiscent of the Tolbunt pattern. A blue laced feather with a white tip.

The lacing would have to be strong though in the Blue line to give the right effect.

Keiths orps has already made some bantam blue Jubilee. I bet it wont be long before mottled blue pops out somewhere. I am using a spangled bird over Jubilee to work on Jubilee. but not the other way around. any that hatch looking spangled will be culled. they will produce leakage if bred to another spangled bird. :( but I hope to have some Bionic Jubilee type soon!

Kidcody if iI am following you correctly what you are saying is that you have already out crossed your stock with the jubilees to improve them so if we were to buy your stock they should not be outcrossed again or we will get even more of the red / brown. Is this correct ?

If this is the case the only spangled / mottles worth the current asking price spangled/mottles are commanding would be those that are the products of several generations of mottled to mottled matings. The balance are basically look a likes that will not breed true and would require years of culling to achieve an animal equal to the original. The originals of course could be utilized to generate those looking like the originals while lacking their breeding value.

With all the variations that are sure to hit the market over the next year it seems there maybe better places to invest ones money if we can use twenty dollar birds bred to mottles to mass produce mottles. Am I wrong?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom