Mottled/Spangled Orpingtons

Pics
Good post @rockingpaints & Jeremy
thumbsup.gif

OK getting confused, should you or should you not cross a Jubilee into a Mottled Orp.

I suppose it's a matter of differing opinions. Breeding spangle into a line of jubilee orps is documented as a good thing (to improve the jubilee). I don't think it's a good idea to introduce Jubilee into spangle birds. Red is hard to breed out of black. I think it has the potential to have ruined the spangle birds imported to America for generations. This however is just my opinion. I like to read about Genetics, but only have a couple years experience with chickens... So... Grain of salt, ya know.

You should never breed a Jubilee to your Mottled birds for improvement of your Mottled line.

You should instead use solid Black birds, or Blues even.

Breeding Mottled to Black or Blue, you can have pure Mottled offspring in 2 generations.

Thanks for posting the wonderful information about what should and should NEVER have been bred into the original imported Mottle/Spangle line...that equates to is that a lot of money has been invested by a lot of people and they did not get what they paid for.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom