Mottled/Spangled Orpingtons

Pics
I'm sorry then, I must have misunderstood the tone in your previous comment. It's very easy to do in a forum situation like this.

I'm not one to beat a dead horse, you know my feelings, but I did want to speak to one last thing that you mentioned:

Quote:
This is true, most of the time. Roosters are typically the only birds that visually show the red leakage when outcrossed to Jubliees. However, the genes responsible for the leakage are still present in female birds, it's just not visually expressed. This can make breeding tricky because you don't now what females are, or are not carrying the unwanted genes that can cause red. This is how generations down the road, when you think you've all but eliminated the Jube influence from your line, you can start hatching birds with red leakage again. This is where the problem lies in outcrossing to Jubilee. The males you can see the fault, but in the females you cannot.

I wish you luck in your breeding Louise, your rooster Spencer already shows the strides you've made in your efforts in breeding quality Mottled birds. He's a fine example of the color thus far.

I'm sorry then, I must have misunderstood the tone in your previous comment. It's very easy to do in a forum situation like this.

I'm not one to beat a dead horse, you know my feelings, but I did want to speak to one last thing that you mentioned:

This is true, most of the time. Roosters are typically the only birds that visually show the red leakage when outcrossed to Jubliees. However, the genes responsible for the leakage are still present in female birds, it's just not visually expressed. This can make breeding tricky because you don't now what females are, or are not carrying the unwanted genes that can cause red. This is how generations down the road, when you think you've all but eliminated the Jube influence from your line, you can start hatching birds with red leakage again. This is where the problem lies in outcrossing to Jubilee. The males you can see the fault, but in the females you cannot.

I wish you luck in your breeding Louise, your rooster Spencer already shows the strides you've made in your efforts in breeding quality Mottled birds. He's a fine example of the color thus far.

goodpost.gif
Thank you Jeremy for all of your information and expertise and particularly for starting this forum as a learning center. I am new to this forum and this is my first post here, but I did go back and read all the entries (every single one
smile.png
). Very good information has been posted here for anyone wanting to move forward with this Orpington variety.
Good luck to all who will be working on this variety in the future
frow.gif

Spangle Orpington hen (Krystal is 6 months old) as they mature they develop more white mottling and get prettier with age. This hen is very docile and enjoys being held or even jumps in your lap while your sitting. They are extremely sweet natured....they are truly a joy to own.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of the a couple of the jubilees that came from my mottled pair and one that is just odd. The darker ones are kind of cool looking so far all the jubs are roosters. They also have yellow legs.

Here are some pictures of the a couple of the jubilees that came from my mottled pair and one that is just odd. The darker ones are kind of cool looking so far all the jubs are roosters. They also have yellow legs.
Yellow legs? Seems odd that they would have that. I imagine you could end up with a throwback or two from the Cochins... Maybe they will turn white... I have not had a yellow yet.

I usually do not stick my neck out about genetic issues and other peoples business, however, I have read this over and over and just wanted to clarify as there seems to be some confusion.
hide.gif
The chicks that are being hatched from the mottled orps that have red bleed through (or straw colored feathers) are not Jubilees. They are Mottled Orps with red bleed through from the Jubilee gene being introduced. To better the Jubilees they can be crossed once to a Mottled Orp every 3-5 years. Then heavy culling would be a necessity to make sure to preserve the Jubilee color pattern and not dilute it to much to black, as the Jubilee is mahogany not black base color. (no black chicks should be used back in the Jubilee pen from this crossing) .

If the Mottled Oprs to the Jubilee cross (to better the Jubilee or for gene diversity) is anticipated, it would be best to find out if it has already been done in the past 5 years, if it has, it should not be done again for that time period.
The Jubilee should not be bred into you Mottled Orp flock - Yes there is a difference in crossing a Mottled to a Jubilee and crossing a Jubilee into your Mottled Orp lines , this is where the confusion lies. There seems to be much controversy on this cross.

With the new varieties comes a lot of genetic questions. Just because one crosses a bird with another, and the offspring "appears to look like" one of the parent birds does not mean it is genetically the same, nor does it mean it will breed true, and a lot of crosses will reek havoc on future generations, maybe ruining the original line altogether. To preserve the original varieties that it has taken much time to finally get here, good records are a must and culling is a necessary evil.

Please don't confuse what I have written with "project birds". I love projects just as much as anyone one else, they are fun and rewarding to get to the finished product. I am referring only to preserving the pure bred varieties. If you have questions or need clarification on what I written please PM me and I will do my best to explain it. This is not my opinion it is the genetic facts from much research and breeders who have raised these two particular breeds for many years.
I am in no way signaling out or pointing my finger at anyone (I hope no one interprets it that way), I am just passing along some much needed information to work with.

Back
Top Bottom