Mottled/Spangled Orpingtons

Pics
I've got a question about my Spangled roo. I've got 2 pullets and the roo who are 5 months old. One of the pullets laid her first egg today but that silly roo has yet to crow and he's not growing very fast. He's smaller than the pullets. His legs are longer but his actual body is smaller. He's also really clumsy. Trips over his own feet all the time and when he runs he looks like he's gonna fall over at any time. I have other roosters who are 2 months old and crowing. Is it normal for my Spangle to be developing this slowly?

Actually, he sounds like a normal 5 month old English Orpington, I just want to know what line your are girls are from to start laying at 5 months, cause I want some of those!
lol.png
We rarely have an English Orp lay before 7 or 8 months. Actually most laying hens of smaller breeds are 24 weeks or approximately 6 months, the big foo foo birds are a bit older than that.

Your boy sounds perfectly normal even being clumsy. I think he will out grow that unless he has an underlying condition. I have had some Imported Orpington roosters who didn't get it till they were almost a year. I had to park them next to an experienced breeding pen so they could learn by watching
lau.gif

Good luck with your Mottled kids.

It's good to know the little bugger is normal then. He's always been a bit "special". He was over 24 hours old before he could even stand up and when he finally got the hang of it he went on a rampage and tried to kill the other chicks. Not curious pecking but full on chasing them down and ripping fluff out and pecking at eyes. He had to be separated for 3 weeks before he could play nice. That's how he got the name Hannibal.
smile.png

If anyone has a near mature Mottle male that is not a cull bird they can spare or know of someone that has one please PM me. Our boy was found fatally wounded by what looked to be our resident eagles doing :( Sadly we had to put him down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THIS LOSS....I HOPE YOU CAN FIND ONE JUST AS SPECIAL...MY THOUGHT ARE WITH YOU at this time! Sincerely Autumn Farm Orpingtons....

If anyone has a near mature Mottle male that is not a cull bird they can spare or know of someone that has one please PM me. Our boy was found fatally wounded by what looked to be our resident eagles doing :( Sadly we had to put him down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please pray and morn and keep your thoughts open to others that will help.

God Bless,,,,Autumn Farm Orpingtons :)

SO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THIS LOSS....I HOPE YOU CAN FIND ONE JUST AS SPECIAL...MY THOUGHT ARE WITH YOU at this time! Sincerely Autumn Farm Orpingtons....

If anyone has a near mature Mottle male that is not a cull bird they can spare or know of someone that has one please PM me. Our boy was found fatally wounded by what looked to be our resident eagles doing
sad.png
Sadly we had to put him down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please pray and morn and keep your thoughts open to others that will help.

God Bless,,,,Autumn Farm Orpingtons
smile.png
Thank you for the kind sentiments. We did find a new guy. His girl friends await :)

The correct name for the for the Pure English Spangle/Mottle Orpingtons is Spangle Orpingtons...I see a lot breeders using the name "Mottle Orpingtons"...A "Mottle Orpingtons is a Chicken that actually carries too much white in their feathers. This name "Mottle" was given to off springs that in England they still would like to sell even when they do not meet the standard in the amount of color pattern. The correct name is "Pure English Spangle Orpingtons" this is actually what a Pure English Spangle Orpington's should be called when they are correct in the amount of white (less white specks) the name "Mottle" is used when your resulting chicken carries too much white in their color pattern, almost a blur of white blended together. This should not be used further in a correct breeding programs. We need more "Spangle" breeding offspring's to further improve of this color...not the "Mottle Orpingtons" and should not be called "Mottles"

All of this information came from fellow breeders in Europe and was share.

Last edited:
"Mottled" refers to the mottling gene (mo/mo), responsible for the absence of color (white) at the tip of each feather.

"Spangled" is a hobby name given to mottled birds by English breeders.

There is no genetic difference between a "Mottled" and a "Spangled" Orpington, just phenotype. The mottling gene expresses itself in many different ways, with some birds having copious amounts of white mottling, while others have mere specks of white in a nearly all black plumage.

Technically, it is more correct to refer to them as Mottled Orpingtons, as that is what they are genetically.

It would also help to avoid confusion with other birds that are hobby named "Spangled", but have a different phenotype- i.e. Spangled Russian Orloffs, and Spangled OEGB. (These birds are genetically Mille Fleur, with various other genes expressing themselves as well, specifically the mahogany gene (Mh/Mh) that deepens the feather color from gold to deep red.)

"Mottled" refers to the mottling gene (mo/mo), responsible for the absence of color (white) at the tip of each feather.

"Spangled" is a hobby name given to mottled birds by English breeders.

There is no genetic difference between a "Mottled" and a "Spangled" Orpington, just phenotype. The mottling gene expresses itself in many different ways, with some birds having copious amounts of white mottling, while others have mere specks of white in a nearly all black plumage.

Technically, it is more correct to refer to them as Mottled Orpingtons, as that is what they are genetically.

It would also help to avoid confusion with other birds that are hobby named "Spangled", but have a different phenotype- i.e. Spangled Russian Orloffs, and Spangled OEGB. (These birds are genetically Mille Fleur, with various other genes expressing themselves as well, specifically the mahogany gene (Mh/Mh) that deepens the feather color from gold to deep red.)

goodpost.gif

Back
Top Bottom