Mottled/Spangled Orpingtons

agree, one should never cross a Black Spangle Mottle rooster with a Jubilee Orpington hen, this resulting cross will only produce offspring's that carry offspring's that will have "red" leakage through out the feathers.

Just correcting the correct way the English and European breeders that have created the Spangle/Mottle color, has informed us on what they prefer to call the English Orpington "Spangle Orpington} Many of us breeders in the US should try to honor what the Europeans have been calling this color for many generations. I don't have a problem calling our American A Spangle/Mottle Orpington. But it must be pointed out that when referring a chicken a "Mottle" that this implies that this hen/rooster carries more white then black in coloring which is also incorrect. I do find myself calling the ;Spangle Orpingtons" either way they still are Spangle/Mottle Orpingtons. Best of luck to all....

Attachments

• Spangle hens 08-06-13 059.JPG
    Spangle hens 08-06-13 059.JPG
    699.1 KB · Views: 11
But it must be pointed out that when referring a chicken a "Mottle" that this implies that this hen/rooster carries more white then black in coloring which is also incorrect.
These are pictures of my two Spangled / Mottled Orpingtons. Missy is more white than black and Maureen is almost all black with white dots. So would Missy be considered Mottled and Maureen be considered Spangled?

Attachments

• hens in snow 1.2018 c.jpg
    hens in snow 1.2018 c.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Missy 2017.jpg
    Missy 2017.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Missy and Maureen 6 months.jpg
    Missy and Maureen 6 months.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 10
Hey, so this thread may be old but I am hoping someone can help me and explain this to me in the most basic terms (pretend I’m 5 lol)
Ok, so I have Blue, Black and Splash Orpingtons.
I hatched some of their eggs out and I got a variety of blues, blacks, splash AND

SPANGLED. 😀😀😀

I would like to have more spangled. I am wondering 2 things
- which of my colours made spangled in the first place? And
- do I need to breed spangled to spangled to make more spangled?

I had 2 roosters in my pen, they were black and splash. Most of my hens are splash, maybe some hens were blue ish.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom