Mottled/Spangled Orpingtons

Pics
:/ Sorry for the misunderstanding and grammar....this is what happens when "Kids" stay up late and think they are being smart and funny! I need eyes behind my head lol! or perhaps forbid them from going on backyard chickens! lol! I guess this is all apart of me being a fun aunt! that should be watching them more! lol! :ya

Everyone needs a fun aunt.

Will mostly white chicks, like these, darken up?

Or will they grow up to be mostly white? Should I keep white mottled chicks for breeding or will they wash out my mottling genetics?

I seem to have a few all black chicks with minimal mottling. I think they are from split to black parents. I have a couple of chicks with white chests and black backs and then a few almost all white with very little black. I also have a pair of chicks with beautiful mottling thst look exactly as they should. Will they keep their good mottling or will they molt and change?

Will mostly white chicks, like these, darken up?

Or will they grow up to be mostly white? Should I keep white mottled chicks for breeding or will they wash out my mottling genetics?

I seem to have a few all black chicks with minimal mottling. I think they are from split to black parents. I have a couple of chicks with white chests and black backs and then a few almost all white with very little black. I also have a pair of chicks with beautiful mottling thst look exactly as they should. Will they keep their good mottling or will they molt and change?

I'm sure others have pics, but from what I understand, they become more white as they age, so you don't want to use the mostly white birds in your breeding pen. What you're looking for are birds that are black with just the white "spangle" at the end of each feather.

I'm sure others have pics, but from what I understand, they become more white as they age, so you don't want to use the mostly white birds in your breeding pen. What you're looking for are birds that are black with just the white "spangle" at the end of each feather.

So I should cull these all white chicks ? Or do I give them a chance to molt at least once? I've heard they can change drastically after molting... thanks for your reply!

So I should cull these all white chicks ? Or do I give them a chance to molt at least once? I've heard they can change drastically after molting... thanks for your reply!

Chicks will continue to change. I would not worry about them till they mature unless they are solid white. I would not cull them right now. Wait till they are get their adult feathers or about 6-8 months old before you cull. I think you'll be surprised. Good luck!

Chicks will continue to change.  I would not worry about them till they mature unless they are solid white.  I would not cull them right now.  Wait till they are get their adult feathers or about 6-8 months old before you cull.  I think you'll be surprised.  Good luck!

Thank you! I am thinking that after maturation anything not mottled will just go into a layer pen for eating eggs and the boys can be supper... so raising them to 8 months or so will be a great solution!

Does anybody have examples of what their chicks mottling looked like as they feathered in vs after first molt?
When do you determine who to keep? After first molt? At a year?

Back
Top Bottom