Moulting or lice?

I'm not really sure when you're supposed to do it again. Every 7-14 days until they're gone???
x2.
That's about the time external parasites hatch from eggs. That's when you want to redust the birds before the nits become adults and start reproducing/laying eggs again defeating the purpose of the dustings. I prefer to dust between 7-10 days after the initial dusting....gotta include coops and nests as well. Severe infestations may require more dustings.

Last edited:
I know when my chickens have lice or mites because I feel them. I have to run in my house and wash all my clothes and shower. I feel them on my head and face, awful! What I do is put the dust in sock and hang it over the door so every chicken gets a little dust. I think it is much better then dusting everything. I am careful to ware gloves and shower after. I have a gold fish pond and I will not go near it until I am clean of the dust. I do that every spring and in a few days everything is OK. I have only 15 Golden Lace hens and a rooster. They have a coop, an egg house and a porch and a yard, but I let them out every morning into a huge fenced area and then lock the little door every night.

Mary,
How do you get the girls from pecking at the sock full of dust? This sounds like a good method, just want to make sure they aren't going to eat it.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom