Moving 10 Ducks To New Home: Advice?

marxrab

Chirping
Mar 24, 2020
My husband and I found our dream farm and bought it. It's 10 acres with a cute house and barn and a natural stream running through it. So much better than our 1.85 acre home that's all mountain and rock. Next week is the big move and I want to take my 10 pet ducks with me in the least stressful way possible. Does anyone have advice? The move is exactly one hour north of where we currently live so it's not a long trip. I do know ducks can die from stress though. I did have a sick duck literally die on the way to a vets office and she was super stressed out being in the car but she was sick so I know that was a contribution to why she died.

I love my ducks and want to be kind as possible. I've got pet carriers for my cats I can use. I've got a pretty big duck house that is going into the moving van. Like big enough I could lay down and chill in there. I thought about just putting 8 of the ducks in there all together with the roof on and doors sealed so they can comfort one another. I do worry about the trampling one another though and hurting someone out of fear. They'd be traveling in the back of the moving van in the big house. I do worry just because once they are in there I can't see them. But the trip is only an hour long so maybe I'm worrying too much. I could use pet carriers but only one would fit in each and I'd have to make 2 trips because I only have 5.

The other thing is 2 of my ducks are blind. I know it's going to freak them out not being able to see. I think some sort of carrier they can both be in would be best for them and they can ride inside the car.

I know they'll love their new home. I'm building their pen around the natural stream and was able to get a really huge shed for their new house so they'll have lots of room. I just want everyone to make it in one piece.

Picture is of the house we're taking with us I thought they could ride in the moving van in. It was newly built this past summer but I still need to add a big door that folds down to make a ramp, a tiny ramp for the other door, and some ventilation.

273789980_323508239839166_3122724958962406549_n.jpg

Last edited:
I think that individual pet carriers is the way to go. Then cover them with a sheet so that the moving light is reduced.

We have three ducks that like driving round in the front seat of my sons vehicle in an open tub. But our other ducks were not introduced to that when they were young and so I use a pet carrier when they have to travel. Covering them definitely reduces stress.

I have a BYC member good friend that bought a used horse trailer that she converted into a moving home for her ducks when they travel she showed me pictures of them just chilling out in it. If they sleep in this house your putting on the moving van maybe they would be more comfortable in it since they know it as a safe place? No food and water just a nice safe place to travel in for an hrs drive. Main thing would be not placing items around it that would cut off air flow does this coop have any windows? if not you might want to cut some in it for fresh air and put hardware cloth over them.

Sounds like a wonderful place to move too I bet the ducks will love it too.

Back
Top Bottom