Moving chickens away from the coop during the day and back at night

I use my cross country ski poles to round up my chickens and drive them from one place to another. Just hold them in your extend arms and walk towards your flock and tap the ground and maybe the odd bird when they begin to run astray. Works for my flock of 24 hens. Any thing about 3 feet or longer you can hold in one hand from canes, small alder poles, dowels, hockey stick handles. should serve the purpose (I used 2 poles to drive my birds.) The first time is the hardest but it gets easier each time. After some time you can just use your out streached arms.
Great suggestion, Hokum Coco.

Train them to come to you for scratch. I always call "here chick, chick, chick" and rattle the scratch in a cup every time I feed them. I usually give them a bit every morning. They all come running up to the gate as soon as they see me. If I give the "Here chick, chick" call they will all come running to see what I have. If I don't have any scratch they still come to see if I have anything but wonder off pretty quick. If I have a cup of scratch I'm rattling they'll follow me anywhere. I use this all the time to get them to come to me and/or move around the property.

Back
Top Bottom