Moving chicks into their coop

HaleyDurnin

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2019
Tacoma, Washington
I have 4 chicks, two of which are 5 weeks, one is 4 weeks, and the other is a little over 2 weeks.
I live in the PNW and weather conditions are pretty cold and wet as of now, but the big girls have outgrown their brooder and now almost the outgrow pen.
My question is should I wait until the youngest chick is of age to move them all out to the coop?
Or can I put them all in the coop with the heat lamp?
Or should I move the older girls out to the coop in a week or so when the rest of their feathers come in and leave the other 2 in outgrow pen till they are of age?
ALSO, with the weather always being so cold should I worry about them having heat when in the coop?
Im just trying to figure out my options and get opinions, I am new to this whole chicken momma thing. Thank you in advance!

As long as you can provide supplemental heat, theyll be fine... for that matter, a huddle box will likely be sufficient due to there bring so many older babies to the one younger. I am anti lheat lamp in the coop so if anything a brooder plate or mama heat pad would be my go to if I really felt they needed the heat.
I currently have thirteen 4 and two 2 week olds out in the coop with no supplemental heat, I am in the pnw. These guys were started outside and weaned themselves off heat...they spend their days with access to coop and run and nights snuggling happily on top of their unplugged mama heat pad.

I would send them all out to the coop with a heat lamp or sweeter heater. If you separate the younger one it will just have to prove itself to the older ones later on and will disturb the pecking order more. I would not send the little to the coop if you have big chickens in there though.

Back
Top Bottom