Moving chicks to coop questions

Waters-flock

Chirping
Dec 17, 2020
Central Texas Hill Country
I’m a new chicken mom and I have questions. My chicks are four weeks today and they are getting too big for their brooder. They no longer sleep under the heater and are testing their wings all the time, which creates chaos. I have started taking them down to their future run in the mornings and leaving them for longer time each day. They are kept in a chicken play pen (based on suggestions I got here) inside the larger run. It’s large enough for them to explore. Here are my questions.
1) How do you know when they are feathered enough to go into their coop? The temps here are between 70 and high 80’s with an occasional shower storm. I’ve included pics of my cute girls (outside and up close). One more week - or two?
2) The coop has a pretty serious ladder to the roosts. How do you know when your chicks can actually maneuver the ladder? Should I do a test drive? Teach them how?
3). The coop has a weird infestation of Roly Pollies. I assume grown chickens would eat these but what about chicks? I haven’t removed them but I could if necessary.
4). When do I switch their chick feed to layer feed? Does it coincide with the move?
5). My girls were outside this morning when we had a sudden rain storm. Their area is covered by a tarp (for shade) so they didn’t get wet directly. I assume that once they learn to live in the coop, they will find cover in a situation like this instinctively? Or do I need to run to the coop to make sure.
Thanks, all, for your support.

Attachments

• A6E6B4D7-0E6E-42D9-B3C6-378E8FF28BC5.jpeg
    A6E6B4D7-0E6E-42D9-B3C6-378E8FF28BC5.jpeg
    1,014.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 036D2FBA-8F0C-4C07-AC23-7A939079F89C.jpeg
    036D2FBA-8F0C-4C07-AC23-7A939079F89C.jpeg
    321.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 90BAF181-73B4-4871-8422-F691E07ECB24.jpeg
    90BAF181-73B4-4871-8422-F691E07ECB24.jpeg
    500.3 KB · Views: 26
My understanding is that generally, they will regulate their own temperature as a part of growing up. Just like what made them know to go under the lamp or not. Seems with that weather and shade setup you are fine.

My girls are also just the beginning of their fourth week, and I can tell you they are LOVING the run/coop area and bug hunting. Let them be "teenagers" and do some roaming. Our girls have learned to flap up to the roosts without much help.

Love to hear more opinions on the roly-polies

Attachments

• PXL_20210625_184804853.jpg
    PXL_20210625_184804853.jpg
    966.8 KB · Views: 28
Do you have other chickens? Or are these your first and only? If they are your only chickens I say move them to their house. Make a huddle box for them if your worried about them getting a little chill. When it rains I have some ladies that could care less and go about their business and others that go in the coop, they'll figure it out😉 as far as the rollie pollies go I'd leave em, they'll eat them. With all the rain we've had there are baby frogs everywhere and my ladies love them🤣

I’d let them into their new home. Once I moved mine outside they feathered out faster. I also made them a tarp covered area in their run with food/water under it so they could still explore outside if they wanted under cover. However I found they just went into the outdoor brooder and came out once it stopped raining. I’ve put mine out as early as 1 week into an outdoor brooder that had a heat plate and once they felt confident enough to go up to the 2nd story to perch they did.
Im new so not sure if the rolly Polly cause any issues but mine just peck at bugs even if they don’t eat them yet.

Do you have other chickens? Or are these your first and only? If they are your only chickens I say move them to their house. Make a huddle box for them if your worried about them getting a little chill. When it rains I have some ladies that could care less and go about their business and others that go in the coop, they'll figure it out😉 as far as the rollie pollies go I'd leave em, they'll eat them. With all the rain we've had there are baby frogs everywhere and my ladies love them🤣
These are my first chicks so I’m a real newbie. Each step of this process is new to me; Hence the many questions. A huddle box - that’s an interesting idea that I’m off to think about.

I’d let them into their new home. Once I moved mine outside they feathered out faster. I also made them a tarp covered area in their run with food/water under it so they could still explore outside if they wanted under cover. However I found they just went into the outdoor brooder and came out once it stopped raining. I’ve put mine out as early as 1 week into an outdoor brooder that had a heat plate and once they felt confident enough to go up to the 2nd story to perch they did.
Im new so not sure if the rolly Polly cause any issues but mine just peck at bugs even if they don’t eat them yet.
The run is pretty large but only part of it is covered so for now, I’m keeping their explorations to that area. I like the idea of giving them a brooder in the bottom of their coop until they can easily climb up to the 2nd story.

These are my first chicks so I’m a real newbie. Each step of this process is new to me; Hence the many questions. A huddle box - that’s an interesting idea that I’m off to think about.
Maybe an Amazon box from a recent order, or a small plastic tote turned upside down with an entrance cut into it😉

Back
Top Bottom