Moving new chicks in with the old - how soon is too soon?

They're 11 weeks old now. I opened the door to the dog crate in the run tonight when I got home from work, and everyone seemed to be getting along, or at least avoiding each other.

The real problem now is I have one who's broody, and this weekend, though she wasn't sitting in the bucket, was still broody and was being pretty aggressive. She's in solitary until she snaps out of it. Not sure how she'll be when she comes back and finds newbies. I'm going to leave the dog crate in there for a while to give them a safe spot if they need it. She's a tough one to de-broody, so it may be another week or so before I even have to worry about that part.

I have 13 pullets (12 weeks) and 6 hens (2+ years, not sure.) Right now, I have the hens in the main coop and the pullets in a smaller one. We have been letting the free range together in the evenings. I'm hoping that will help the transition go better.

The more space they have during integration the less stress they'll all feel. You're definitely on the right track.

They're 11 weeks old now. I opened the door to the dog crate in the run tonight when I got home from work, and everyone seemed to be getting along, or at least avoiding each other.

The real problem now is I have one who's broody, and this weekend, though she wasn't sitting in the bucket, was still broody and was being pretty aggressive. She's in solitary until she snaps out of it. Not sure how she'll be when she comes back and finds newbies. I'm going to leave the dog crate in there for a while to give them a safe spot if they need it. She's a tough one to de-broody, so it may be another week or so before I even have to worry about that part.
Glad to know it's going well for you!

Separating your broody is good and she will establish herself when she gets back from solitary but continue on with your integration process as if there's no difference amongst your established hens and it'll be easier on everyone.

Back
Top Bottom