MPC Super blue egg layer eggs

Woohooo....hatched eggs, wonderful results!! Soon to have some other SBELxSBEL laying. You're on a roll. Can't wait to see what you get with "new eggs". It is encouraging to know someone is progressing.

I haven't even attempted incubating yet. My herd of dairy goats have been kidding, so that set me off of concentration. Plus, I have been waiting for weather to stabilize for chicks & their care. I'm looking at Fall for "new egg layers". What's a few more months, right?

The green eggs are lovely. I have a lovely black hen from a "bought eggs/broody hatch" that began laying. While I had hoped she was a full black Ameraucana, she isn't. But I sure can't fault the beautiful green egg she lays! It's truly green, nice intensity. I would be thrilled with 6 a day of that color as my customers love them. If I get blue like that green I will be in heaven! The two roos I have from that same batch of eggs are still very good, easy to pick-up, protect hens. They can stay with the mixed hens in the general flock of layers....most of whom are brown/tan egg layers.

I am now working to identify the 4 Marans hens who are laying the really dark eggs, to pen with a Marans roo for those eggs to be hatched. I'm working toward, some blue, some green, some dark brown......and my BOs, whom I just love for selves & the broody help they give me.

MyPetChicken.com

MPC is actually a company who sells chicks, started chickens, fertile eggs, supplies, etc.

They sell a chick they have named Super Blue Egg Layer (SBEL). A cross between white & blue layers, supposed to lay large, blue eggs. You can see by the thread that several have bought from them, our opinions, results, etc.

Some members have developed their "own" version of SBEL & those are part of the thread. Hope this helps. Yep, some of these abbreviations are confusing, LOL....to me, anyway....LOL

So it's been a year and I'd like to update about my SBEL, Fluff. She is very sneaky and intelligent. She breaks out of everything! A real bad bully to one hen, but super sweet with hugs. Her eggs are big and very pale blue, almost white.
Egg on bottom next to the olive:

Her egg is the big almost white one in the middle:

From the info on their site, It would appear that you still have a chance of getting birds that lay white eggs. The cross is new and has a lot of bugs to get worked out of it.

I have 8 of these hens who lay very light blue eggs....some just tinted. 5 lay nice eggs, 3 lay odd ones, guinea egg shape, small and one continually has poor shell (wrinkled). I plan to cross mine with a pure lavender Ameraucana, &/or a Crème Legbar/Ameraucana roo. It is my hope that I will get offspring that will lay a deeper blue. If not, I'm over the blue quest. LOL. I would NEVER pay the price again after what I have. The hens are nice, the 2 roos mean as haitees.....waiting for butcher day.

I love my other chickens ones even more!

Will the offspring of 2 super blues lay blue eggs as well?

I have 8 of these hens who lay very light blue eggs....some just tinted. 5 lay nice eggs, 3 lay odd ones, guinea egg shape, small and one continually has poor shell (wrinkled). I plan to cross mine with a pure lavender Ameraucana, &/or a Crème Legbar/Ameraucana roo. It is my hope that I will get offspring that will lay a deeper blue. If not, I'm over the blue quest. LOL. I would NEVER pay the price again after what I have. The hens are nice, the 2 roos mean as haitees.....waiting for butcher day.

I love my other chickens ones even more!

If I'm doing the math right the offspring of two super blues. 25% will lay white eggs. Of the blue egg layers, 25% will have two copies of the blue gene so even bred to white layers, their offspring will all lay blue eggs. This 2 out of 3 of the blue egg layers or 25% over all will lay exclusively white eggs and will need to be bred back to a blue egg layer, which isn't hard if you are breeding and keep a nice Ameraucana roo, or even a cream legbar whose line lays blue eggs. White egg ;layers have their use in many breeding programs.
That said the mean roos don't surprise me. My mother had leghorns for a while but the roos were so mean she went to brown egg layers (Back in the day most chickens were called brown or white egg layers but the whites were leghorns. The browns might have been mixes.)
You can breed your own super blues for a fraction of the cost of purchasing them so if you like the blue egg gene don't give up. Leghorn hens are cheap and get one good Ameraucana or cream legbar roo to put with them shouldn't be over $20.00. Just make sure the cream legbar is from a blue egg laying line. Some lines lay greenish eggs At this point the purchased ones are all hubrids and still carry the genes for white down the road. Will this change ini the future? Maybe. But test breedings will have to be done.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom