Ms. Picky Here... Want a Simple/'Cheep' Coop

Quote:
My husband still doesn't even want to look at my 5-week-old chicks (although he will once in a while come out and check my progress on the coop I'm building) I don't think I'll ever make a chicken farmer out of him, but I'm hoping some fresh, tasty eggs will start to win him over.

I'm almost done with a 4'X8' coop with a 6'X9' run and will provide a materials list if you'd like. Most of what I'm using is leftovers or reused materials from other projects, but I did have to go and purchase most of the 2"X4" studs and chicken wire. NOTE, if I had a do-over I would have upgraded to hardware cloth instead of chicken wire as we have numerous predators in my area. My understanding from more experienced folks on this forum is that chicken wire does a great job of keeping chickens in but not a very good job of keeping predators out. I have some decisions to make before I move my girls outside.

Quote:
My husband still doesn't even want to look at my 5-week-old chicks (although he will once in a while come out and check my progress on the coop I'm building) I don't think I'll ever make a chicken farmer out of him, but I'm hoping some fresh, tasty eggs will start to win him over.

I'm almost done with a 4'X8' coop with a 6'X9' run and will provide a materials list if you'd like. Most of what I'm using is leftovers or reused materials from other projects, but I did have to go and purchase most of the 2"X4" studs and chicken wire. NOTE, if I had a do-over I would have upgraded to hardware cloth instead of chicken wire as we have numerous predators in my area. My understanding from more experienced folks on this forum is that chicken wire does a great job of keeping chickens in but not a very good job of keeping predators out. I have some decisions to make before I move my girls outside.

You should post pics:D especially if your building yourself, that is impressive! I started mine and DH took over LOL as I knew he would:fl
Ayda
Will post pics of mine soon

Quote:
I will try to get some pictures up. I'm pretty proud of what I've built. It would be prettier if I'd purchased new material, but I'm trying to reuse, recycle, re-purpose materials from old building or remodeling projects and when necessary, buying stuff from Re-Store, which is a Habitat for Humanity's thrift store and a great, low cost source for material if you're willing to go often and with a creative attitude. For example, I purchased three drawers there for $.50 each that I'm converting into nesting boxes.

Like you I looked for months. As good as they were none fits just what I was looking for. But they did give me a starting point and some knowledge of how to get to a certain point. I took that and spent weeks drawing up plans, changing, and changing some more. Then when I finally got started I changed it again. I went from a 4X8 to a 5X8. Then a lot of the plans had to change to accommodate the first change. Since that I've pretty much stayed on plan.
So it will just be finding something you like, follow it up to a point and change things to fit your plans. Lotsa drawing and changing.

Here is my "almost compleate" I just have to attach the coop to the free coop I got on freecycle. other then that I'm done

Materials For mine I used 2 pallets I got free at a friends hubby work
a package of nails
package of Hinges
hammer
drill
50 ft Chicken wire roll

I tore apart 2 of the pallets. (i have more but I"m gonna make something else for the chiks with it)

I then Used the Exzisting frame legs of my side porch
I attached the Planks to the legs of the porch. then the top half I wrappe din the chickenwire.
Fassion a door (wich I need to remake) an Voloa! a Chicken coop!

I put 2 cinderblocks inside with a plank of wood to hold their food. and give them a small low place to perch. I plan on adding more area's to perch later.

Otherwise I only spent not much more then 30 dollars total on my coop!

FRONT
99419_100_1363.jpg

Side view of the Front of the porch and coop i got free on freecycle. Eventuly it will be connected to the porch as well
99419_100_1357.jpg

Right hand side with the door
99419_100_1358.jpg

Food area
99419_100_1360.jpg

Back
Top Bottom