Mt Healthy Hatchery

Got my chicks from a local feed store. Found out later they came from Mt. Healthy. Not show quality and my buffs did not start laying until week 30. But nice sweet birds.

Got my chicks from a local feed store. Found out later they came from Mt. Healthy. Not show quality and my buffs did not start laying until week 30. But nice sweet birds.

My buff orps from mt healthy didn't start laying til one was 28 or 29 wks and the other was much later like 32-33 weeks. I hoping that just means they will lay longer over their lifetimes :)

Looks like 2 of my 3 EEs from Mt. H! Yes, they are girls:). They laid very late though. The first EE laid at 6 mos, the others at 7 and 8! Between them, we only get 1 egg every few days:-( I hope they pick up once the weather turns warm again.

I went to their website and I notice they sell crossbreeds, I wonder if feed stores are ordering these then selling them of at purebreds? It could also be that their ordering surplus chicks, but can't identify them correctly.

I went to their website and I notice they sell crossbreeds, I wonder if feed stores are ordering these then selling them of at purebreds? It could also be that their ordering surplus chicks, but can't identify them correctly.

Which ones are you talking about? Most hatcheries have crossbreds.
Mt.Healthy have the RIR x Columbian Rock cross, but they let you know that.

Mt Healthy also has commercial blks, Dixie rainbows and red x. If these were sent to a feed stores as hatchery choice, along with standard breed chicks, I don't believe feed store employees could accurately identify these chicks, which leads to their customers buying mislabeled chicks. But I would by directly from Mt Healthy and get wanted.
Just my 2 cents.

Mt Healthy also has commercial blks, Dixie rainbows and red x. If these were sent to a feed stores as hatchery choice, along with standard breed chicks,  I don't believe feed store employees  could accurately identify these chicks, which leads to their customers buying mislabeled chicks. But I would by directly from Mt Healthy and get wanted.
Just my 2 cents.

x2

Don't want to rustle anyone's feathers - nor open myself up to the many angles of attack. I just want to inform of possibilities so you can make your own educated decisions.

1st and foremost, when you talk Mt. Healthy Hatchery, you talk Tractor Supply Company (TSC) and vice versa.

TSC has been sourcing their chicks for the annual "Chick Days" from Mt. Healthy Hatchery for numerous years.

Mt. Healthy Hatchery has been cited by the CDC for their "product" (chicks) being tainted with rare strains of Salmonella for MANY CONTINUES YEARS!

TSC CONTINUES TO SOURCE THEIR CHICKS FROM MT. HEALTHY HATCHERY! PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH, BUT PLEASE RESEARCH!

FWIW....

http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/live-poultry-04-13/index.html

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_he...y/downloads/2013_presentations/cdc_update.pdf

Back
Top Bottom