multi strain meat bird breeding mix

The problem is, no one really knows what you'll come up with by mixing your particular birds. Many, many people have mixed various cornish strains with various other breeds and come up with mixed results. Sometimes people are happy with what they come up with, and sometimes not. There just isn't any real way to predict.

Last edited:

Its been a couple years but like I said when I started this thread, I would go ahead with my plan and keep everyone posted so this is where I'm at thus far. These birds are half DC,1/3 production red, and 1/3 Cobb broiler. I used a PR cock over a commercial broiler and got some nice sized hens then I bred a decent( non hatchery) DC over the hens and these are a couple of birds I held back to breed.

Its been a couple years but like I said when I started this thread, I would go ahead with my plan and keep everyone posted so this is where I'm at thus far. These birds are half DC,1/3 production red, and 1/3 Cobb broiler. I used a PR cock over a commercial broiler and got some nice sized hens then I bred a decent( non hatchery) DC over the hens and these are a couple of birds I held back to breed.

Those are some good looking birds! I am working on my pens now to start my own line of meat birds. I am thinking of a DC rooster over some of the Deleware/ New Hampshire crosses that Ideal sells.

This is very inspiring to me! I have been trying to come up two breeds to start a project like this with but living in Alaska I'm stuck with getting mostly hatchery chicks. I've tried talking with people and just get told to not bother and get the CX but I don't want that! I am trying to get a slightly faster growing bird than the heritage breeds but not one that I have to process in 8 weeks. Living where I do it gets very expensive to have chicks shipped in and I would also like to be more self sufficient so breeding my own is the way to go! Any tips you would be willing to share with a novice like me? I've read through about every thread I can find on the subject (I'm trying to learn what all the abbreviations are!) and I like your up front attitude about it! You've done a wonderful job!

Those birds look great! Keep up the updates!

alaskanchickens, have you looked into Buckeye and maybe Chantecler. I think there's a good thread somewhere about Buckeye x Cornish--which is what I want to do but am waiting to score some good Cornish when I'm ready.

Back
Top Bottom