multi strain meat bird breeding mix

This is very inspiring to me! I have been trying to come up two breeds to start a project like this with but living in Alaska I'm stuck with getting mostly hatchery chicks. I've tried talking with people and just get told to not bother and get the CX but I don't want that! I am trying to get a slightly faster growing bird than the heritage breeds but not one that I have to process in 8 weeks. Living where I do it gets very expensive to have chicks shipped in and I would also like to be more self sufficient so breeding my own is the way to go! Any tips you would be willing to share with a novice like me? I've read through about every thread I can find on the subject (I'm trying to learn what all the abbreviations are!) and I like your up front attitude about it! You've done a wonderful job!

I finally found BYC link to abbreviations, https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/byc-index-of-abbreviations. I e-mailed it to myself so I can find it again. :D
he.gif

I have some back cross( son to mother and aunts ) eggs getting ready to hatch in 4 days and some f-2 eggs from the to birds pictured above. I have 3 hens that are production Rhode island redxcobb broiler that are sisters the interesting thing is I get 3 different color birds from them when I used that DC rooster. I got black, white laced red and I'm not sure what its called maybe red laced blue...one thing for sure is they all have nice size breasts. The black birds are more Rhode island red in stature, while the wlr is more "Cornish" like and the red and blue birds were shaped more like a broiler but smaller...here is a picpic
[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
One good looking bird.  I wonder how much he weighed dress out.  Tell me again what his parental stock is?  :thumbsup
the sire was a large dark Cornish and the dame was a production Rhode island red x broiler.
Like I said each PRxbroiler hen gave me different looking offspring but they are all very meaty. The only reason I used a production red was A: I already had him and B: I figured he would be good for egg production and they lay all.most every day and there eggs are around 70 grams or more.

the sire was a large dark Cornish and the dame was a production Rhode island red x broiler.
Like I said each PRxbroiler hen gave me different looking offspring but they are all very meaty. The only reason I used a production red was A: I already had him and B: I figured he would be good for egg production and they lay all.most every day and there eggs are around 70 grams or more.

I do believe I'm going to have to give this a try. That bird looked delicious. Good going!!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom