multi strain meat bird breeding mix

I have three pens with one for each parent line and one with the f1 birds and their offspring, I have removable walls so I can make it one big coop , or two, or three( if that makes sense ),and last week I opened up two of the coops together because I have plenty of f2 and back cross egg in the bator now so I'm just eating eggs. My f1 birds and commercial birds are pretty timid so they wait their turn to eat if there isn't room so I feed everyone at once.

you eat your eggs? people actually do that? , eat the eggs of the chickens they have in their backyard...
lol.png

Very interesting thread. I've been researching a good sustainable meat bird for the future. We live in the city right now so no roosters and only 8 hens. But we're working on our plan to buy some land so this is definitely a project in our future. I like the results you got. I was originally planning on just doing turkens. Reasons for this - 1) they are meaty 2) they have a good meat/feed conversion ratio 3) they have less feathers so easier plucking 4) large breasts. But maybe I'll mix them since I've read they'll add these traits to other birds. But they seem to have it all already. They are good layers and broody also. Not sure what traits I'd be looking to add in the other breeds.
Any ideas?

If you can find some good ones, the hatcheries give a good description of the types of birds but unfortunately thats not what they sell, the birds the hatcheries sell are very disappointing unless your looking for eggs and pets. I'm sure there are breeders of actual naked necks, those would be the folks to get them from, and then you would be happy. My advice to anyone who is looking to breed a meat type bird is to start with the best birds you can find, even if expensive to buy some breeders its cheaper in the long run because most of the work has been done already.

My hatchery type Cornish are multiple generations old and came from S and S poultry, and his stock were hatchery birds and he said he bred a nice breeder quality bird into his line. I'm on my 4th generation with them and they still have that hatchery look but they are much larger then actual hatchery birds. They grow out super fast too. So I use them for the sire line, I just got the Ed Smith birds and I'll keep that line pure. These birds grow out much slower then my others.

Last edited:
Exhibition type dark Cornish:
Hatchery type:
Exhibition hen:
Hatchery type hen:

That is on of the best side by sides i have seen to show the difference in these type of birds, the quality of one to the other. I know i have definitely seen a difference in the birds i have from hatchery verse breeder. and honestly in some breeds from breeder to breeder depending on their original stock, i have finally believed the ole saying you get what you pay for, its true with chickens as well. i am just finally getting my MArans where i want them, and i am working on my dual purpose/ meat bird. again going for sustainability and self sufficiency, this has been a great thrted so often you see people say oh just buy it from that hatchery,and yeah that is great until the hatchery don't deliver no more. then I only have those around me, and most of them dont do roosters. so I believe in the near future i am going to be the hatchery. eatwhatyougrow ya know

Back
Top Bottom