Murder Mystery, what killed my chicks??????

DempsK01

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2016
Fayetteville , NC
I have lost 8 baby chicks (not very young - 7-8 weeks) to an unknown predator. The run was closed, everyone inside and no holes dug into the run. All chicks left dead in the run except one outside the run (could not have left on it's own the run fencing is 6ft with nothing close to the edge they could jump off of), feathers pulled out, no wounds except a single hole in the skull of the one pulled out of the coop. My dogs were with me and there is no way a dog could have gotten in the run. In the coop is also one adult chicken and two adult ducks who are unharmed. I have no clue what would kill the chicks, not eat them, but leave alone the 3 adult birds?!?!?!?!?

I have lost 8 baby chicks (not very young - 7-8 weeks) to an unknown predator. The run was closed, everyone inside and no holes dug into the run. All chicks left dead in the run except one outside the run (could not have left on it's own the run fencing is 6ft with nothing close to the edge they could jump off of), feathers pulled out, no wounds except a single hole in the skull of the one pulled out of the coop. My dogs were with me and there is no way a dog could have gotten in the run. In the coop is also one adult chicken and two adult ducks who are unharmed. I have no clue what would kill the chicks, not eat them, but leave alone the 3 adult birds?!?!?!?!?
do you possibly have a pic of the chicks? Or the coop. Could be a coon

Also they sound to young to be out. Are they fully feathered? Do they have any “fluff”? Wait until they are fully feathered next time. Sorry for your loss
All fully feathered, plus it is really warm where I live and i keep a warmer in the coop in case they get cold at night though they've not used it in a couple weeks

Back
Top Bottom