Murray McMurray Hatchery 2013

Smoochie

Songster
7 Years
Sep 18, 2012
CANADA
Whatcha think? I just got my catalog in the mail. Unless I'm blind they are not selling Cornish Bantams anymore.

No White Japanese, bantam Partridge Wyandottes, bantam Rocks..am I missing pages?? No light or dark Brahma bantams, no white Or Birchen Cochins... I haven't even looked at the LF.

If it's not in there 2013 catalog then maybe they got ride of them cause they wernt big sellers? Idk, I would call or email them to confirm.

Edit - Your right, I got my catalog also and the bantams section look less..

Last edited:
A little info on Murray McMurray. I received my chick a week ago (27 Jan 13). I ordered 47 total chicks of various breeds. I even went as far as to call my main post office hub and ask them to call me and I would pick them up whenever they got there. I received the call at 11:00pm on a Sunday. I drove the 2 hours round trip to get them faster to reduce the stress....if I had waited to get them from my local post office...who knows how many more would have died. 2 of the chicks were DOA in the box when I opened it. Later that day 3 more died. And the next day 3 more died. 1 day after that I only lost 1. Also, I ordered 4 Golden laced Wyandotte's...they didn't ship them to me. Their was a sticker on the inside of the box that said they said they ran out. Now keep in mind I ordered these chicks 3 months in advance. So there's no excuse for not sending them.

OK, now I have 3 chicks with crossed beaks and 1 with an eye problem. I will probably cull them tomorrow.

I would suggest trying to find a local hatchery around you and buy them from there. I am not happy at all with McMurray. Although their people were very nice on the phone each time I called...I believe their chicks are sub-standard. Be prepared to lose a 1/4 of them due to death or sub standard breeding.

I'm just sayin....lol

A little info on Murray McMurray. I received my chick a week ago (27 Jan 13). I ordered 47 total chicks of various breeds. I even went as far as to call my main post office hub and ask them to call me and I would pick them up whenever they got there. I received the call at 11:00pm on a Sunday. I drove the 2 hours round trip to get them faster to reduce the stress....if I had waited to get them from my local post office...who knows how many more would have died. 2 of the chicks were DOA in the box when I opened it. Later that day 3 more died. And the next day 3 more died. 1 day after that I only lost 1. Also, I ordered 4 Golden laced Wyandotte's...they didn't ship them to me. Their was a sticker on the inside of the box that said they said they ran out. Now keep in mind I ordered these chicks 3 months in advance. So there's no excuse for not sending them.

OK, now I have 3 chicks with crossed beaks and 1 with an eye problem. I will probably cull them tomorrow.

I would suggest trying to find a local hatchery around you and buy them from there. I am not happy at all with McMurray. Although their people were very nice on the phone each time I called...I believe their chicks are sub-standard. Be prepared to lose a 1/4 of them due to death or sub standard breeding.

I'm just sayin....lol
Why are you going to cull them right now? Are their crossed beaks hindering their eating? Heck, if I could get them here, I would take them (I have a soft spot for the ones that are different). :)

Noticed the Birchens missing myself, I was pretty disappointed as I had been fairly impressed with their middle toe feathering and build.
sad.png

Guess I'll be waiting to find a good local breeder even for them
fl.gif

I received my 30 chicks last Monday, they are 1 week old now, I didn't lose 1 and they shipped over the weekend so I feared the worst. They are all active and healthy and no defects/deformities with legs or beaks. I wouldn't be so fast to blame the deaths on the hatchery as you are shipping into a northern climate in January, I am in Northern WI and I don't like to ship chicks before mid April, this year I wouldn't have even shipped then as it was just too cold. The cross beak thing I wouldn't care for, but as to them not supplying you with the one breed you ordered, it doesn't matter how many months in advance you order, they have a certain amount of eggs available to hatch and they plan their sales accordingly, if they have unforeseen issues they may end up with fewer chicks than they planned and will have to substitute you or short your order.

Back
Top Bottom