Murray McMurray hatchery?

This is our first time owning chickens and we ordered from MM. We bought 25 and ended up with 27 (extra for warmth, in case some are roosters, etc.). We made sure that we shipped directly to the main post office and we drove there and picked them up. They were shipped Saturday and arrived Sunday morning/early afternoon. I think this made the difference for us; I don't think they would have survived the night and made it to the morning without food, water, and warmth. I would suggest trying to get the chicks on Sunday and being a nuisance about it. We got all the inside numbers, requested they call us Sunday when they arrived and not to be transported to the closer postal office. It is worth whatever amount of time to drive; a lady drove two hours to get her chicks because they died the last time they were shipped closer to her. Postal service seems to be the issue with chick death, not MM. Our chicks are a week old and surviving great! All are healthy, alert, and growing like weeds!

This is our first time owning chickens and we ordered from MM. We bought 25 and ended up with 27 (extra for warmth, in case some are roosters, etc.). We made sure that we shipped directly to the main post office and we drove there and picked them up. They were shipped Saturday and arrived Sunday morning/early afternoon. I think this made the difference for us; I don't think they would have survived the night and made it to the morning without food, water, and warmth. I would suggest trying to get the chicks on Sunday and being a nuisance about it. We got all the inside numbers, requested they call us Sunday when they arrived and not to be transported to the closer postal office. It is worth whatever amount of time to drive; a lady drove two hours to get her chicks because they died the last time they were shipped closer to her. Postal service seems to be the issue with chick death, not MM. Our chicks are a week old and surviving great! All are healthy, alert, and growing like weeds!

X2 we ordered winter chicks, well the post office thought they would get cold so they would get them from a cold truck, they would be warm. but the post office people didnt think so and put them under a heat lamp, then they went to a cold truck again and did this a LOT. So long story short a lot of the cold breeds died and the warm breed hardy lived. We have ordered them in the summer, they were fine, the post office thought that the chicks would get cold and basically killed them trying to do the nice thing
sad.png
i was sad, but they were trying to do the right thing, but then again ITS OUR MAIL YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO OPEN IT!

That is so sad! It was nice of them to attempt to help the chicks but you're right, they should not touch your mail! I hope that your next experience is/was better! I am so happy all of ours are thriving! I'm such a nervous mom

X2 we ordered winter chicks, well the post office thought they would get cold so they would get them from a cold truck, they would be warm. but the post office people didnt think so and put them under a heat lamp, then they went to a cold truck again and did this a LOT. So long story short a lot of the cold breeds died and the warm breed hardy lived. We have ordered them in the summer, they were fine, the post office thought that the chicks would get cold and basically killed them trying to do the nice thing
sad.png
i was sad, but they were trying to do the right thing, but then again ITS OUR MAIL YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO OPEN IT!

That is so sad! It was nice of them to attempt to help the chicks but you're right, they should not touch your mail! I hope that your next experience is/was better! I am so happy all of ours are thriving! I'm such a nervous mom

Actually that was Cackle hatchery XD we ordered again (same thing, less dead) but we now have around 30 happy chicks! (we should have 70
hmm.png
) but Murray has never let us down!

I bought some blr from McM several years ago. They were lemon and orange colored instead of the mahogany red. I didn't take pictures since I was so disappointed in the coloring. They were healthy and vigorous though and I had no problem making my investment back selling them on craigslist. For backyard eye candy they were great.

Very nice looking chicks Pocket Money Poultry Farm! I am very much looking forward to getting my Blue Laced Red Wyandotte chicks!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
BLRWyandotte~ Good luck on your chicks! When I ordered, all McMurray sold was St.Run chicks in the BLR.
As I mentioned I ordered 6. They sent me 4 female & 2 male. Hope your ratio of female to male
is as good or better than mine. I'm very pleased with the birds. I have a small backyard flock.
I make a small amount of pocket money from selling eggs. I get a large amount of enjoyment
from watching the chickens & incubating their eggs. I'm looking forward to hatching some
BLR eggs this fall.

I've received one order from them and it was also Valentine's day weekend. I was very concerned because it was so cold that weekend however they all arrived alive.,

2 died within the first 48 hours and CS added them to my next order which should be here tomorrow.

I hope these arrive safe.

I guess there is always a risk when ordering chicks through the mail - especially when it's cold but McMurray seems to do the best they can do make things right if there are issues - although nothing can really make up for opening a box of dead chicks. My sympathies to those of you that had that happen.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had ordered from MM for the Auraucana/Ameraucana "Easter Eggers" Standard not bantam sized? I have ordered other pure breds thru them years ago and the service was great, if we did lose a chick, and we live in Maine! Expecting a dozen girls in May. (went in with a friend for the 25 order) Any pics would be great too! Thanks!!

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had ordered from MM for the Auraucana/Ameraucana "Easter Eggers" Standard not bantam sized? I have ordered other pure breds thru them years ago and the service was great, if we did lose a chick, and we live in Maine! Expecting a dozen girls in May. (went in with a friend for the 25 order) Any pics would be great too! Thanks!!

I have
big_smile.png
You can go here to see the pics: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-egg-box-farm

Back
Top Bottom