Murray McMurray hatchery???????

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
Murray McMurray hatchery what do you think of them and what is the quality of their birds like?

Thanks for the help,
wink.png

I don't really do hatchery chickens, but I did just get an order of Pekin ducklings from them last week. All of the birds are fine, fat, and happy.

Yea, I don't either. I have a friend that did and they make you order 25. So he was wanting to know if I wanted to buy some, so I was wondering how poor the quality is.

My order form McMurray arrived on schedule yesterday and all 28 they sent me are doing great. I dont know if they are show quality birds or not,( probably not, but I just want cute chickens and eggs anyway!) but I am very happy with thier service so far. time will tell on the sexing, lol.

I've ordered from them several times and never had any big problems. It cracks me up all the people who say they "dont do hatcheries". Ok if you dont do hatcheries, I understand that you prob. purchase them from a breeder or such. But where do you think a breeder got their stock from and so on down the line. Stock had to be obtained from a hatchery or a breeder that supplies hatcheries at some point in your birds lineage. I understand that people who are breeding for show quality purposes probably aren't ordering birds from a hatchery. But what about the other 95% of people who are not raising show birds? Those raising for eggs, meats, or just enjoyment. I do enjoy seeing a bird in it's best possible form and condition, but I just don't get the whole " I dont do hatcheries" mentality. Maybe it's just me........
idunno.gif

@ Dandydoodle you will be very happy with your mcmurray chickens I have ordered from them several times and am very very pleased. The only problem I have ever had is with a few chicks DOA and some died a day or so later. But having said that it was a little cold when I made the orders and they just got chilled. Once a chick gets chilled there is no much you can do about it. I will also add that the only breeds I had die were Red Leghorns and a few Bantam breeds which are not known to be cold hardy anyways. They also replaced all my chicks I had die both times plus a couple extra I have been very happy with them and will order from them again. I will say this and I know Quality changes from breeder to breeder. I have 2 Barred Rock Pullets that hatched from mcmurray Nov 1st and I would be surpised if they are not show quality they look better than any Barred Rocks I have ever gotten from a local breeder. Not to say there's none out there but this is just my experience. If you would like I can take some pics to upload for you? all the other chicks I have gotten from them that I didn't end up selling are only about a month old and just starting to feather out. My buddy I got my Barred Rocks from ordered 100 pullets and to be honest it was hard to choose 2 out of the group they were all top quality. The only thing I would stay away from that I wasnt happy with was there Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. Reason they were all splash color they don't have any blues or blacks which leads me to believe that they just have a splash rooster over a splash hen this producing 100% splash chicks other than that no complaints they are a great hatchery. In my opinion the BEST!

I had a great experience with McMurray this year. My husband and his family have ordered with them many times in the past and have always had great luck. Is there any breed or breeds you are looking for pictures of? I have a ton of my chicks that I would be happy to post for you to see.

3 years ago i had the best luck with Murray McMurray but the last 2 years have not been nearly as good. last march i lost about a fourth of the birds. It was cold when they were delivered that year but again this year i had trouble. I lost 14 out of a order of 75 within 24 hours. I did dip their beaks and gave sugar water. They refund the money for the deads so i was not out anything cash wise but i hate throwing dead birds out, i wanted live chicks! The ones that survive are nice strong beautiful birds. The assortment of brown egg layer are excellent, I think it is a shipping issue. This year my chicks were hatched on Friday shipped on Saturday at 12:47am and didn't arrive till Monday. That is a long time for a baby. I tried 2 more hatcheries this year with arrival dates of later this week. i will see what kind of luck i have.

Back
Top Bottom