Murray Mcmurray!

I ordered chicks from Murray McMurray several years ago. All chicks arrived in great condition and I even showed the bantams in my county fair and won best feather legged bantam with a millefleur d'uccle pullet. I got offers to sell her and for stud service for her. I took her hone and turned her loose on the ranch to enjoy her life. I have actually ordered twice with great results. I am not delusional enough to think they will sell a best in show bird but they are great to learn on.

Thanks, JF. I wasn't real fond of them until this guy showed up, but now I'm kind of partial to him.

It is good to see that all hatchery stories are not sad goddess. I just started my project 5 weeks ago with 27, but all are still alive and healthy.

My first time ordering chickens, but so far, I've really liked their chicks, service and shipping. I ordered 25 Special Assortment Straight Run for a very discounted price. Vaccinations were reasonable. GrowGel was GREAT! QuickChik was great (still using it every time I refill the water!).
Chicks were big, healthy, and vigorous. They sent me a varied mix. I might order females only and specific breeds next time, but this has been a fun start!
The best part for me was the speed of shipping. Chicks were born/shipped Monday and I received them Wednesday morning. 27, all chirping, all drinking and eating the minute they hit the brooder.

I hope I got 50/50. I hope the hens lay good eggs. I'm not into showing (though we do own a large food stand at a county fair!) but just want happy, healthy chickens.

On the contrary, I had a TERRIBLE experience with Chicken Scratch Poultry. Price was WAY more expensive, but I thought I was getting some sort of boutique hatchery. I ordered specific breeds. They were born that same week on Tuesday. They were shipped out Tues at 3:30pm. $38 shipping for one-day express. Guaranteed delivery at 3:00pm Wednesday. Did not receive chicks until 11am FRIDAY!!! Hatchery said no big deal. Happens all the time.
I will never order again from them. Maybe it's not exactly their fault, but speed of shipment is very important to me. One was DOA (only recently, according to my hubby) and one died the first night. They sent me 19 chicks and I ordered 16, so I still have 17, but that's not the point.

Hands down, would rather buy from McMurray. I'm sure I'll educate myself more as the time goes on and want chicks/eggs from breeders, but for now, these chicks fit the bill!!

Sarah

I agree that MM is very good. If you want to show, or if your USPS is problematic, then do not do ANY mail order hatchery. Otherwise, MM is terrific: prompt, happy, and healthy chicks (see below). Also, their website is very informative for ordering.

My last MM order from June is still going strong. Out of the four I put in for the order, one died. A Phoenix, but the other two are great and the EE is the biggest of them all.

This is the best picture I have of the EE right now... I'll try to get a better picture tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's experience input regarding Murray McMurray. I am leaning heavily on ordering my Australorps and maybe a few buff colored somethings as well. And it looks like this 10 chicken operation has truly turned into at least 30, maybe more. Thank again!!!

Thanks for everyone's experience input regarding Murray McMurray. I am leaning heavily on ordering my Australorps and maybe a few buff colored somethings as well. And it looks like this 10 chicken operation has truly turned into at least 30, maybe more. Thank again!!!
Another vote for Murray McMurray. I ordered10 hens and 2 roos cuckoo marans, and 10 straight run Polish last year. 2 day delivery, all lived including the extra. Very strong and healthy. The Polish were 7 hens and 4 roosters. They have been fantastic birds, and I just hatched my first incubator full of their eggs.
I love my Buff Orpingtons. Great layers and very docile. Good luck!

I got two Aussies from Murray McMurray last June, and I am very happy with them. They are both much larger than I expected them to be, and very calm and gentle. Ethel started laying on 1/03/15. she has now laid 11 eggs. She meets me at the gate every day wanting snacks and cuddles. Still waiting for the rest of the group to start laying.

I have ordered from McMurray in the past and had no problems. I have a new order coming in two weeks. I ordered from Meyer and had lots of dead arrivals. I think it had to do with the usps.

Back
Top Bottom