Murray mcmurray?

We've ordered twice from them so far this year and have no complaints. In fact, I just placed a third order last night. Their customer service is friendly and helpful, the babies come quick and healthy. The only problem we had was with our gosling order and that wasn't their fault. The goslings didn't arrive on the day they were supposed to. I called McMurray and they looked up the tracking number but the USPS update said they had left the sorting center. When McMurray couldn't locate them, they gave me the tracking number and advised me to contact my post office. So I took down to my post master and she got on the phone trying to find my babies. Come to find out, although my goslings had arrived at the sorting center in more than enough time to be put on the truck to my post office, someone decided not to bother and just marked them as departed from sorting center and left them sitting there.

So not McMurray's fault at all. And our chicks that came on Monday came right on time and are a bright-eyed, bushy-tailed, happy little lot.

Last edited:
We ordered chicks through them in March for the first time and I was not impressed. We chose them because they had the most breeds we were hoping to get available for the shipping day we wanted- my birthday. We ordered 26 chicks, 4 each of 5 breeds and 5 blue cochin (the chicks I wanted the most) with an added freebie chick. They came the day they were supposed to and our post office notified us first thing and we picked them up at 7 am. First the label said they sent us 27 chicks and there were only 25 in the box. Not really a huge deal if they had sent us all the chicks we originally ordered minus the freebie but they shorted us 3 of the breeds we ordered and threw in 2 chicks we did not order. We were splitting our order (minus the cochins) with a friend so that made things difficult.

Two of them died within the first hour home, of course one of the chicks was one I wanted the most. One of them came so deformed we tried our best to nurse her back to health but she died 3 days later. We ended up splitting what we could with our friends after a week to make sure they were going to make it and kept the misfits, as my kids called them :). Two of our light Brahmas have toes fused together and don't seem quite right but are plugging along. Out of my 5 blue cochin pullets ordered they sent 3 and 1 buff, one was our poor deformed girl that didn't make it, and one died the first hour. Ultimately we ended up with one blue pullet and one blue rooster. For whatever reason the chicks with feathered feet were in bad shape but the rest seemed alright.

I expected a loss or two from shipment but not the deformities that they had and the substitutions, even though we checked the box for no substitutes. They did refund the cost of the chicks that died and the ones they didn't send without a problem but we would have had to order 25 more to replace them. I will be looking elsewhere next year that's for sure.

I've ordered from MMM several times over the years and have always been happy. Healthy chicks, decent prices, good variety of breeds, good customer service.

Just know, if you're getting the "free rare/exotic chick', it's quite likely to be male. So if you absolutely, positively can't have a rooster, don't get that freebie!

My question is I was wondering if mcmurray hatchery is any good? I was wondering because I am thinking about buying from them next year! But I don't know if their any good. So are they?

Thanks a ton!

Logan

I have ordered several times over the years from Murray McMurray. They are a little pricier than some of the other hatcheries, but I have been happy with their service and birds.

When I got my order earlier this month, all three seabrights I ordered and two blue Cochin bantams died within a couple hours of arrival. They did send an extra lakenvelder and a free exotic chick. I re-ordered to get more seabrights as they were the ones I REALLY wanted. Still had to pay shipping and meet the minimum order. I ordered 5 seabrights this time in case of a loss, 5 black tailed white Japanese, the two replacement Cochin, and three frizzles for my neighbor to have enough. 3 were doa, and as of right now(30 hr) the Cochin are fine, the exotic chick( a rir bantam) is fine, and EVERY OTHER CHICK DIED except three seabrights and they don't look so hot. I have followed all the instructions, and thank goodness I had some save a chick ready or I don't think these three would be here now. I am VERY unhappy and won't be ordering again!

When I got my order earlier this month, all three seabrights I ordered and two blue Cochin bantams died within a couple hours of arrival. They did send an extra lakenvelder and a free exotic chick. I re-ordered to get more seabrights as they were the ones I REALLY wanted. Still had to pay shipping and meet the minimum order. I ordered 5 seabrights this time in case of a loss, 5 black tailed white Japanese, the two replacement Cochin, and three frizzles for my neighbor to have enough. 3 were doa, and as of right now(30 hr) the Cochin are fine, the exotic chick( a rir bantam) is fine, and EVERY OTHER CHICK DIED except three seabrights and they don't look so hot. I have followed all the instructions, and thank goodness I had some save a chick ready or I don't think these three would be here now. I am VERY unhappy and won't be ordering again!

Somebody on another thread received a whole order of dead chicks from a different hatchery. Not because the hatchery failed to send healthy birds but because they were mis-handled by the USPS during hot weather.

My geese order from McMurray would have been DOA if I hadn't driven to the USPS sorting facility to get them since someone there decided not to do their job.

Somebody on another thread received a whole order of dead chicks from a different hatchery. Not because the hatchery failed to send healthy birds but because they were mis-handled by the USPS during hot weather.

My geese order from McMurray would have been DOA if I hadn't driven to the USPS sorting facility to get them since someone there decided not to do their job.

I'm sure this happens fairly often. I always pick mine up immediately as soon as they arrive.

Back
Top Bottom