Muscovy duck gender?

Florencehb

Chirping
Sep 7, 2021
Mallorca, Spain
Hi! I've got 2 muscovy ducklings, both 8 weeks old and have been told I should be able to tell the gender by now, I've never looked after muscovy ducks before and can't find any help online. I've attached an image of each of them, any help is greatly appreciated!
20221108_140824.jpg
20221108_140838.jpg

Muscovy can be sexed by size and by vocals. Not all are clear at 8 weeks. If both birds are similar in size they are likely the same sex. (Males are larger than females). All young Muscovies make a variety of sounds. Males will start to make a huffing noise and then stop making other sounds. Females will continue to make a variety of sounds includeing a hissing noise. Females usually only hiss when broody or extremely agitated.

Hi! I've got 2 muscovy ducklings, both 8 weeks old and have been told I should be able to tell the gender by now, I've never looked after muscovy ducks before and can't find any help online. I've attached an image of each of them, any help is greatly appreciated!View attachment 3316434View attachment 3316436
I’m leaning towards boys, but they are hard to sex. Usually, the males get huge feet fast and red in face. Also, if you have girls to compare them to, males get feathers in slower then the females.

I know its a while since this post went out, but if you still dont know I would say the one at the back is likely to be a female and the one standing up is a boy. this is because the one at the front has begun to get the carnucles already and the one behind hasnt as well as, the one at the front still has fluff on his head and it looks as if the one behind has more feathers and less fluff. Boys grow feathers slower then females but grow the carnucleus faster and bigger.

I know its a while since this post went out, but if you still dont know I would say the one at the back is likely to be a female and the one standing up is a boy. this is because the one at the front has begun to get the carnucles already and the one behind hasnt as well as, the one at the front still has fluff on his head and it looks as if the one behind has more feathers and less fluff. Boys grow feathers slower then females but grow the carnucleus faster and bigger.
Hello, I didn't see this post until now this is them recently.
20221208_162242.jpg

What lovely looking ducks!
I would now say that they look both like females.
do either of them have thicker legs? Males have much thicker legs then females ( a good indicator ), and does one chat more? Not quacking but a cute chirping noise? Boys don’t really make a noise? !:)
They're both quite noisy but the one with black on its head definitely has larger legs!

Back
Top Bottom