Muscovy Ducks And Chickens Do Not Mix

Sorry for your loss. I have a black cochin who lives all the time in my muscovey pen. I think she thinks she is one. She is in love with the drake.

That's the oddest thing. I have about 30 of them - some protective moms/dads, young birds, etc - living alongside geese, chickens, Welsh Harlequin ducks, and guineas. Not a mean bone in their body. Are you sure it was the muscovies? I'm not even sure HOW they'd kill chickens. I've seen a past drake get in a fight with a rooster, but it quickly quieted down, no one was hurt. They even share feed. In general, if a hen pecks a hen/drake they make a startled quack noise and scuttle away.

Of course, my birds free range which is less stressful than a penned situation, especially with new arrivals. Lessens fighting dramatically.

Last edited:
Mine sure seem to get along quite fine.

17846_img_0462.jpg

My Muscovies live with my Bantam Cochins 24/7. Mine also free range as much as possible too but they do sleep together at night and some even brood together, they get along great and i have never had a problem in all the years i have had them.

I have had issues with Geese that weren't raised with other birds though, almost lost a couple Muscovy hens & a Leghorn Hen to some geese we adopted. thankfully they all pulled through.

Last edited:
I have 16 scovies and they co exist wonderfully with my flock of chickens. They eat together, share their nests, and the ducks often go into the henhouse/run area for shade during the day while the chickens are foraging. The only time I have seen any conflict with the two is when I give them banana for treats, they all love them and the ducks will try to hiss off the chickens and the chickens will peck at their wings, but when treat time is over, they go back to co existing peacefully.

I'm thinking the same thing. I've never heard of muscovy doing anything like that. They'll live along side just about anything. Are you certain it was the muscovy that did it?

I have a rooster that thinks he's a duck and he use to get into fights with my male muscovy but they never were able to kill each other and they did try.

Were these chicks that were killed by them?

This is really strange to hear.

DSC00163scovies.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom