Muscovy Egg laying ?'s

Muscovy-palooza

Songster
Oct 17, 2018
East Tennessee
Will muscovy lay if separated from a Male? Do they have to be bred each time they lay an egg for it to be fertile? If I remove the eggs will they still keep laying? My only experience with this was the female was irritated when I kept taking her eggs. I left her a few and she decided that she had better sit on the few that she had before any more disappeared.
20190413_200220.jpg what is wrong with this egg? It looks like some of the top layer (colored part) has been scraped off leaving it some slightly rough edges around those areas. This egg appears to be much thinner than our other muscovy momma. This may be the first egg for this girl.

Last edited:
They will lay without a male. They generally will lay a clutch worth before stopping for a month or two. So you will generally get between 15-25 eggs than the hen will take a break.
Good grief that's a lot of eggs! Will she keep laying even if I collect her eggs? If she has been bred then separated from the Male will her eggs be fertile?

They generally will continue to lay. They just may switch nest sites if you keep picking them up. I think eggs can still be fertile 2 weeks after a mating, but I'm not positive.

I’m not 100% about Muscovy ducks but what the other commenter said sounds accurate. They will usually lay in a different spot everyday (in some cases even if you don’t pick up their eggs).
In regards to the egg picture. There is nothing wrong with that. If you have a relatively young duck that is totally normal! I don’t know why it happens with ducks, but not chickens, but with young ducks it’s kind of like the eggs have a grey coating on the outside. Usually it goes away with time, and sometimes you end up with eggs like that because it can be easily scraped off (usually).

P.S. Yes ducks will lay eggs without any male present.

Back
Top Bottom