Muscovy Incubation, by Broody or Incubator

Here's a question ....seems like my girls (muscovy) have been sitting on eggs for a VERY long time. How long does this take ?? I feel like its been well over 40 days. I can only get to 1 nest the other is unreachable for us. They are free range always. We only pen them in the winter for safety.
TIA !!
once they're broody they tend to stay that way for a bit there are threads that actually talk about having to "break" Muscovy hens from being broody so you might still be OK!! Good luck!!
Thank you. I was just wondering about breaking a broody Swedish Duck, lol. I'm going to let my Muscovies do what they want. She is still laying in the same place. It's not yet an organized nest so we shall see.

their normal incubation under mama is 35 days and then you have to be sure As to when she started sitting she will sometimes sit for a few while laying an egg but not truly be sitting! We marked our calendar the second day she didn't leave the nest for anything longer than a drink and some food and we ended up being Right on time! It does seem to take forever though waiting for those fuzzy little babies!! We had to keep checking the calendar to only find we had just checked it a week ago but it had felt like an eternity!!
lau.gif
x2 OMG, same here... I keep looking at the calendar like it's going to make it go faster, lol.

I ended up getting rid of the 4 eggs that should have hatched last week. I didn't do an eggtopsy. I don't think I have the stomach for it. I have 18 more eggs in the incubator and am hoping for a broody chicken or duck hen soon. I would really, really prefer not to try and hatch them myself again.

My Lilac girl is still laying on 17 eggs. Well, last I checked. They're pretty sneaky about moving out eggs they don't want
big_smile.png
O no, sorry to hear that. 18 duck eggs? Geese? I know others have done it, but I didn't have good luck with putting duck eggs under a chicken.
fl.gif
for ya.
Go Lilac girl! I'm trying to decide if one of my 4 wko is a lilac. She looks blue but has a brown ripple looking chest.
My broody will not let me touch her eggs. I could smell a bad one and was finally able to get it out yesterday. She has food and water real close so I know she is eating but I would like to clean up around her. One week left to go based on my calculations.

O no, sorry to hear that. 18 duck eggs? Geese? I know others have done it, but I didn't have good luck with putting duck eggs under a chicken.
fl.gif
for ya.
Go Lilac girl! I'm trying to decide if one of my 4 wko is a lilac. She looks blue but has a brown ripple looking chest.
My broody will not let me touch her eggs. I could smell a bad one and was finally able to get it out yesterday. She has food and water real close so I know she is eating but I would like to clean up around her. One week left to go based on my calculations.

18 Muscovy eggs. I thought my chocolate duck hen was going broody so I let them accumulate and then she didn't, so I took them. I have a large fowl cochin that is getting broody, so I'm going to do some candling tonight and hopefully get them under her within a few days. I should be able to fit a good dozen under her. She'll be a good mom. Did your chicken hen hop off of them when you tried? Some broody chickens are so dang picky.

I counted again yesterday and my Lilac is down to 15. I found her abandons by the pool. I have no idea how she managed to get them there!

You should post a picture of your 4 wk old! I think it's easier to tell when they're little, but lilac is just a tricky color in general.

Oh man....I don't think I could handle the smell of a bad egg right now! One week! My fingers are crossed for you!

Thank you.  I was just wondering about breaking a broody Swedish Duck, lol.  I'm going to let my Muscovies do what they want.  She is still laying in the same place.  It's not yet an organized nest so we shall see.

x2  OMG, same here... I keep looking at the calendar like it's going to make it go faster, lol.

O no, sorry to hear that.  18 duck eggs? Geese?  I know others have done it, but I didn't have good luck with putting duck eggs under a chicken. :fl for ya.
Go Lilac girl!  I'm trying to decide if one of my 4 wko is a lilac.  She looks blue but has a brown ripple looking chest.
My broody will not let me touch her eggs.  I could smell a bad one and was finally able to get it out yesterday.  She has food and water real close so I know she is eating but I would like to clean up around her. One week left to go based on my calculations.
one week actually feels like a month I swear!! Lol hang in there!!

18 Muscovy eggs. I thought my chocolate duck hen was going broody so I let them accumulate and then she didn't, so I took them. I have a large fowl cochin that is getting broody, so I'm going to do some candling tonight and hopefully get them under her within a few days. I should be able to fit a good dozen under her. She'll be a good mom. Did your chicken hen hop off of them when you tried? Some broody chickens are so dang picky.

I counted again yesterday and my Lilac is down to 15. I found her abandons by the pool. I have no idea how she managed to get them there!

You should post a picture of your 4 wk old! I think it's easier to tell when they're little, but lilac is just a tricky color in general.

Oh man....I don't think I could handle the smell of a bad egg right now! One week! My fingers are crossed for you!
Well, dugh Renee, this is a Muscovy thread, lol.
roll.png

My chicken stayed on them. I'm not sure what went wrong. It was her first time broody and only one of her own eggs hatched. Then the little thing died. It was a bad experience all around.

With all of the rain, I haven't been able to get a good picture of her due to the lighting. I will try this weekend.

I'm so glad I got it out of there before it went KaBOOM, lol

My Blue Pied Hen is laying on a nice clutch of eggs! I saw her leave the nest for quite a long time yesterday, so I hope she sticks with it.....

Very nice! I have a container out just like that
smile.png
I thought one of my girls was starting a nest in it but I kept lifting the lid to check on her and she split, lol. I think she moved into a dog house I have out for them. Someone is building a nest in it. There were 7 eggs tonight. I'm just not sure if it's her. Another girl was trying to build a nest on the ground in the night pen. If she's going broody then I will have all 3 of my Muscovy girls sitting on eggs
wee.gif
PLUS my Blue Swedish girl is trying to go broody. I'm going to break her though. She hatched 13 in January and I'm still trying to get rid of two drakes.
one week actually feels like a month I swear!! Lol hang in there!!
OMG soooo true! Thank you.

Cong
Well, dugh Renee, this is a Muscovy thread, lol.  :rolleyes:

My chicken stayed on them.  I'm not sure what went wrong.  It was her first time broody and only one of her own eggs hatched.  Then the little thing died.  It was a bad experience all around.

With all of the rain, I haven't been able to get a good picture of her due to the lighting.  I will try this weekend.

I'm so glad I got it out of there before it went KaBOOM, lol

Very nice!  I have a container out just like that:)   I thought one of my girls was starting a nest in it but I kept lifting the lid to check on her and she split, lol.  I think she moved into a dog house I have out for them.   Someone is building a nest in it.  There were 7 eggs tonight.  I'm just not sure if it's her.  Another girl was trying to build a nest on the ground in the night pen.  If she's going broody then I will have all 3 of my Muscovy girls sitting on eggs:weee PLUS my Blue Swedish girl is trying to go broody.  I'm going to break her though.  She hatched 13 in January and I'm still trying to get rid of two drakes.
OMG soooo true! Thank you.
:yiipchick
Congrats!! You should have lots of scovy babies coming soon!!

@MinnesotaNice she's actually 6 weeks today. Not sure what color she is being her chest has a reddish tint.
Fallon:

Back
Top Bottom