Muscovy incubation help (already)

JaeG

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Sep 29, 2014
New Zealand
I ordered 6 Muscovy hatching eggs from a lovely lady who I've got chicken eggs off in the past. She sent me 9 eggs, 3 from the 3 nests her hens are currently accumulating. She's labelled them for me so I know which sets are which.

One set of 3 are enormous compared to the others. They are 92-94g. The other 6 range in weight from 64-72g.

I currently have them upright as the air cells looked a little loose, but at which height should the 99.5F be at when they are upright, and do I do it so it's in line with the larger or smaller eggs if it has to be at the top, or should I pad the bottoms of the smaller eggs to make them sit up higher?

I was going to leave them in the egg carton but the large eggs are much too large to do this and I can't close my incubator. So I put them in a tray which is packed with paper towels to support them. But is this going to affect ventilation around them?

It's going to be a nerve wracking 35 days! :barnie I'm used to quail eggs, so Muscovy eggs are a whole different kettle of fish.

You might want to try in the incubation forum. Are you incubating them upright? They are probably best laid down, but I'm no expert in incubating.

You might want to try in the incubation forum. Are you incubating them upright? They are probably best laid down, but I'm no expert in incubating.

Thank you - I've done that now. Hopefully someone can answer my question. I've got them sitting vertically because the air cells looked a little loose. I'd read that at 5-7 days in I'll be able to lay them down as they should have settled, but no where can I find where you're supposed to take the temperature reading, seeing as they are so big.

Do you have a way to measure shell temp? Like with a Braun IR ear thermometer?

No - I'd never thought of using an ear thermometer (we only have the under the tongue ones). That's a brilliant idea. I might have to get one at some point but NZ is on lock down at the moment so no unnecessary trips, and we now live quite a ways from anywhere, which isn't a bad thing at a time like this.

I did take a peek at the air cells last night and they did seem more stable so I might bite the bullet and lie them down once it's actually morning (its currently 4.20am).

Back
Top Bottom