Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Me too! It has been exactly one week since Mira had her accident. I tried taking a couple pictures today to show her progress and compare with the original ones taken right after i cleaned her up and stitched her. She has a line going down the back of her head/neck now that is new skin growing in. She's been itching her scabs the past day or so, working them off. I had very Lettie hope for her when I first found her.

Originals on the left, today's pictures on the right

GREAT job! So glad she's doing better.

What colour do you think this guy is? He's from my blue drake and lavender duck.
Out of seven ducklings we had 2 black drakes, 2 blue drakes, 2 blue ducks and this guy which looks sort of slate to me. Perhaps lavender or light blue with several darker feathers and brownish-creamish head?

What colour do you think this guy is? He's from my blue drake and lavender duck.
Out of seven ducklings we had 2 black drakes, 2 blue drakes, 2 blue ducks and this guy which looks sort of slate to me. Perhaps lavender or light blue with several darker feathers and brownish-creamish head?

Assuming you are referring to the close one on the right. If you crossed a blue drake to a lavender only duck, assuming drake isn't carrying a copy of chocolate or lavender, then it should be a blue. Looks like a Blue Pie but the brownish spots on the neck is throwing me off. It's best if you show a photo of the parents as well.

What colours do you think are those two babies?

Someone's got them for sale.
I'm looking for a chocolate drake but I think that little one will be black.
What about about the other one? Help please!

That's what I'm thinking...
They are from chocolate dad and chocolate pied mum.

The front one looks like a black. The back one, probably not a black, lighter color but the photo resolution is too small and I couldn't zoom in to take a better look to see if it's blue or chocolate. Maybe has pie and barred gene hiding lot of the color making it look lighter and harder to tell. A cross between chch to ch- should give 100% chocolate. If the front one is from the same parents, then both parents are not probably not chocolate.... It's best to post a photo of the parents - that way I can see if it is a chocolate or a sun-faded bleached black looking chocolate.

Last edited:
The front one looks like a black.  The back one, probably not a black, lighter color but the photo resolution is too small and I couldn't  zoom in to take a better look to see if it's blue or chocolate. Maybe has pie and barred gene hiding lot of the color making it look lighter and harder to tell.  A cross between chch to ch- should give 100% chocolate.  If the front one is from the same parents, then both parents are not probably not chocolate.... It's best to post a photo of the parents - that way I can see if it is a chocolate or a sun-faded bleached black looking chocolate.

Yes the front one was black. Distributor see the other one in person.
Later that guy said to me that male was chocolate but mother was actually blue pied

Assuming you are referring to the close one on the right. If you crossed a blue drake to a lavender only duck, assuming drake isn't carrying a copy of chocolate or lavender, then it should be a blue.  Looks like a Blue Pie but the brownish spots on the neck is throwing me off.  It's best if you show a photo of the parents as well.

I'll try to take a better picture with a proper blue one for comparison.
He is much lighter than his blue father or brothers. More like silver with few blue feather (not black). The brownish head is confusing me as well.
Here's picture of the parents and sister from the same clutch:

I'll try to take a better picture with a proper blue one for comparison.

He is much lighter than his blue father or brothers. More like silver with few blue feather (not black). The brownish head is confusing me as well.

Here's picture of the parents and sister from the same clutch:

Those birds aren't lavender. They are blue. The brownish neck is probably a silver (double blue).

Assuming drake and hen are both Blue Pie.
Your offspring probability should have been: 12.5% Blue, 25% Blue Pie, 12.5% Silver Pie, 6.25% Silver, 6.25% Black, 12.5% Black Pie, and 25% White.

Last edited:
Yes the front one was black. Distributor see the other one in person.
Later that guy said to me that male was chocolate but mother was actually blue pied

Okay, then it's possible the offspring is chocolate or chocolate+blue only if it is female.

So if you were buying it, go ahead and sex it. If it's a male, then the bird cannot be chocolate, it would be a carrier only.

Very high probability of being chocolate. Gives 50% females of chocolate which evenly splits down to Lilac, Lilac Pie, Chocolate, and Chocolate Pie. Lilac as in it has combined shade of chocolate and blue together.

And I totally ignored possibility of barred gene in there which just double the outcomes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom