Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Yes they have a really neat way of communicating but they are quiet too. I have geese too and they really aren't like geese. LOL They are just a breed all to themselves. Which makes them very special. I had 15 once now I am down to just 5 Muscovy. Lost most to old age. 1 to egg laying problems. This is over a 12 yr period. They are healthy tuff lil characters. lol

Do you plan on letting them have ducklings?
What I noticed goose-like about them is the intelligent look in their eyes, and how they reacted when I put my hand towards them.

If they go broody I'll let them hatch. I would like to add two more females to elevate the female to male ratio.

The problem will be with probably having to butcher the extra males. We butcher roosters, and that's difficult enough.

What I noticed goose-like about them is the intelligent look in their eyes, and how they reacted when I put my hand towards them.

If they go broody I'll let them hatch. I would like to add two more females to elevate the female to male ratio.

The problem will be with probably having to butcher the extra males. We butcher roosters, and that's difficult enough.
Same with us. We have done our extra roos but even my dh who use to hunt doesn't want to do the extra drakes, so I work extra hard at finding homes for them. And so far because I don't let them hatch when they want which would be all spring and summer into fall I haven't had to rehome many. That is heart breaking too.

They are intelligent like geese. My Drake is actually dominant over my gander.

Forgot it's not if they go broody but when
lol.png

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to see if one or both of my females go broody this spring.

X2. I actualy found a hidden nest of turkey eggs yesterday and set them on the ground near my muscovy girls. They were rather interested in them but not overly. I'm not sure when they'll start laying but they're only about 3 or so months old.

Everyone, you're pictures and birds are just absolutely stunning!

X2. I actualy found a hidden nest of turkey eggs yesterday and set them on the ground near my muscovy girls. They were rather interested in them but not overly. I'm not sure when they'll start laying but they're only about 3 or so months old.

Everyone, you're pictures and birds are just absolutely stunning!
My females usually don't start laying till spring of following year they were hatched so usually 8-9 months old. They are slower to mature than my Runners and Buffs. My Runners and Buffs were mating and laying by 4 months old I was very surprised.

Give them time they will want to sit it's just part of their DNA. A big part.

Runners are good ducks but it's hard to find them here .. Do you have any Khaki campbells ? they're really good layers .
I don't have KC's but I can't imagine them being any better at laying than my Buffs and Runners they haven't stropped laying since they started and they just turned 8 months old.

I'll say this, I can't imagine having anymore duck eggs than we get everyday. Not many folks around here will eat them preferring chicken eggs. So besides me and my dogs and 1 person at our church we have enough duck eggs. lol I have 5 Runner and 2 Buffs laying most days.

Last edited:
I don't have KC's but I can't imagine them being any better at laying than my Buffs and Runners they haven't stropped laying since they started and they just turned 8 months old.

I'll say this, I can't imagine having anymore duck eggs than we get everyday. Not many folks around here will eat them preferring chicken eggs. So besides me and my dogs and 1 person at our church we have enough duck eggs. lol I have 5 Runner and 2 Buffs laying most days.
Runners are great layers too i don't own any but plan on getting a few they're so interesting to watch
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom