Muscovy keepers share your pics!

They seller says she is 2 years almost 3 years old. I only want her for this season. I'm going to let her hatch a clutch of eggs hoping to get some Blues from her and then sell her to a nice retirement home. I just wanted to know if I would get a clutch out of her. The seller has her with a blue male right now, so I will be keeping her isolated for a couple weeks to collect her eggs and monitor her behavior towards my flock. I have decided to sell my common ducks to use their coop for her.

If she's closer to 3yrs, I wouldn't call her old, but certainly not in her prime. I think once they hit 4-5, egg production, etc. starts to decline. The experts say large breeds like the muscovy typically live 5-7 years but can certainly make it to 10. Haven't had mine long enough to know.

So excited!!! Going to be picking up this beautie on Wednesday!! 2 hour drive but totally worth it! Only blue Muscovy within 3 hour drive!

Is a 2-3 year old Female Muscovy considered old? Will she still lay good amounts of eggs?

View attachment 557530
Some of mine are older, can't really say how old, they have been here since before I started keeping good records. I lost a drake last year who I believe was 12 years old, and I believe some of these older hens are his siblings, so they are around 10-12 years old as well. They don't look it. So 2-3 is still a young muscovy in my experiences.

Thank you!
Some of mine are older, can't really say how old, they have been here since before I started keeping good records. I lost a drake last year who I believe was 12 years old, and I believe some of these older hens are his siblings, so they are around 10-12 years old as well. They don't look it. So 2-3 is still a young muscovy in my experiences.

How much longer on the eggs I sent you? I can't remember how long ago that was lol
I think a week or so. Ill check. Unfortunately my one girl didnt actually sit on them. Just has them spred out around her. I have a post above. Not really sure what to do with her now. But I think I have 3 or 4 of yours looking good under my other girl. Fingers crossed!

I sent my daughter into culvert to check on Venus and eggs. Nothing has hatched yet. Air sacs look really big but I don't know what I'm actually looking at sooo.. yeah I have no idea. I looked at my calendar again and if she went broody full time the day I got home from Easter then today is 37. And hubby thought she started a few days before I got back. Hope everything is okay.

Does anyone have day old pictures of Blue Muscovy Ducklings? I'm going to a sellers house tomorrow and she has male and female blue Adult Muscovy's and I wanted to be able to pick out the blue ducklings. A blue female is a broody hatching them, but she has pied, ripple, lilac, white, and chocolate that all contributed to the eggs and she has more then just one broody Muscovy.

I'm not sure how to pinpoint exact hatch days under a broody, I guess the 23rd and they hatch the 21st. Apparently I hatch muscovy in a Bator in 30 days instead of 35. :barnie the air cell will take up about half the egg when they get ready to hatch if I'm not mistaken. Assuming they were incubated correctly. I'd hope the Duck knows what going on lol. Can you see any beaks poking through? Any wiggling around?

When I had two males they fought a lot, I added a third and then the two chased the third around. A good experienced young drake should be able to cover 7 hens.

Back
Top Bottom