Muscovy keepers share your pics!

So, I got a question. My female is currently sitting on 5 eggs due to hatch in a couple weeks. Yesterday, she was out grabbing food, making a little squeaky noise, the tips of her wings were raised in the air and she was holding one of my chickens down and like preening her everywhere, under her wings, around her neck, all over. My chicken would run away, the duck would chase her squeaking and again, grabbed her tail so she couldn't get away (was quite funny actually) hold her down and sort of preen her and pulling on her feathers. Does anyone know what this behavior is? This is the first time I've seen this. It didn't seem aggressive in any way though.

That sounds so cute! Maybe she wuves her chicky friend! I can think the chickens was going Blah duck germs! LOL
I sure hope she does hatch some babies. She sure wants to mother!

And it's the 2 that are in my avatar that were sharing the nest. So, I don't know, maybe she really likes the chicken, it seemed more loving then aggression. The chicken definitely wasn't liking it.
I did check the eggs last weekend and they are dark inside, so I'm sure there will be babies! Will post pics when they hatch, should be around the 5th.

So, I got a question. My female is currently sitting on 5 eggs due to hatch in a couple weeks. Yesterday, she was out grabbing food, making a little squeaky noise, the tips of her wings were raised in the air and she was holding one of my chickens down and like preening her everywhere, under her wings, around her neck, all over. My chicken would run away, the duck would chase her squeaking and again, grabbed her tail so she couldn't get away (was quite funny actually) hold her down and sort of preen her and pulling on her feathers. Does anyone know what this behavior is? This is the first time I've seen this. It didn't seem aggressive in any way though.

Normal broody behavior other than the holding down and preening, of course if one of my broody's comes out shrieking everyone runs for their lives.Your hen may next time.

Kristof is starting to get her Muscovy face! Lol. She is so pretty. Can't wait to see how she turns out. ;)

Anyone have their scovies hatch out chickens?

If so, how did that go after hatch?

Did you collect the chicks and stick them in a brooder?
If so, was the duck upset by you taking her "babies?"

Allow the muscovy to parent them?
If so, was there an issue with swimming?

I'm thinking of getting some meat birds this spring and am weighing my options in regards to how to make this work.

LOL well that would be a new one, around here the broodies get all sorts of cranky! clearly her mothering instinct is on overload. GL with the hatch.

Back
Top Bottom