Muscovy Mule/Hybrid Duck egg incubation

FishaRneKed

Songster
8 Years
May 11, 2014
Good day, I didn't find any incubator articles online specifically about mules, so i figured I would document my finding here.

Large backyard, flock of 14 muscovy hens (mixed collection), 3 muscovy drakes (big white hatchery breed), 3 golden hybrid 300 hens and one rouen drake. also a dozen chicken hens. Diet consists of free range insects and vegetation, with layer pellets and corn in the winter. crushed oyster shell in a pile but it doesn't appear to get used much at all. The muscovy Egg shells are extremely extremely hard and can be dropped on the tile without breaking open. (this might be an issue when piping starts)

south Louisiana, the whole flock has been consistently laying, even the day after Hurricane Ida. However the temps have been up and down from slight freeze to 80deg F. so the broody hens get a little confused.

Jan 1 I collected 6 clean dry eggs and set them in a carton, air sack up. Jan 2, i put the 3 golden eggs and 3 muscovy eggs in a small incubator. No way of knowing which drake fertilized each egg. All of my different drakes will mate all of the different hens.

Incubator has no humidity control or read out, just water in the bottom of it. Eggs were candled day 7 day 14 and day 30. No way of really telling how long they will take because of the hybridization. Day 30, I dropped the Temp from 37.5c to 37.2c and removed the auto rotation mechanism. I did not myst the eggs at all. I did not perform and periods of cooling other than the few minutes of candling.

Today is day 34 (feb 4) and for the sake of not having specific times to follow, I candled each egg. One muscovy egg Looks dark/full but has not pip'd the air sack yet. one golden egg looks like it's developing slowly, I can still see liquid and veins, its about 3/4 dark, does not smell or appear dead. The other 4 eggs are at various stages between the two.

I also have a broody Muscovy setting a nest that is shared with Brahmas that appear to be helping her set. I'm leaving them to nature and will post any results from that (not sure how long it's been)

I will post updates here. feel free to share any information specific to Mule duck, Moulard, Mallard, Muscovy, Muele, Hybrid duck egg incubation.

Thanks.

another one pip'd the shell on the wrong end and there was blood.

i went to the airspace side and removed some shell. it's little behind started pushing, so i removed shell along the long axis and gave it some wiggle room.

fingers crossed, we'll see in 12 hours or so how they develop. seems a bit late at day 38. possibly the temp is ever so slightly low and caused a slow development. but I'm not really sure.

Our ducks are also very likely mule ducks (we think pekin X muscov). Here are some pictures of them:
At the first picture they were about 3 weeks old and the last one about 8 months.

Attachments

• IMG_20210725_114012339.jpg
    IMG_20210725_114012339.jpg
    694.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20211106_124906232_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211106_124906232_HDR.jpg
    691 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9420.JPG
    IMG_9420.JPG
    594.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20211222_152259566.jpg
    IMG_20211222_152259566.jpg
    601.8 KB · Views: 15
today is day 36.
the most mature duckling in a muscovy egg looks like ot will pip into the air sack today. thevrset look to be a few days less mature.

I'm assuming that the golden eggs are all fertilized by a muscovy drake, as a golden/rouin duckling would have hatched a few days ago. but I'm not %100 sure

today is day 38. the largest egg pip'd the shell last night, i candled it right now and there is zero space, not even on the airspace side. i just removed about half the shell gently without rupturing the membrane. a few minutes later, there was a lot of movement.

appears that all of these ducklings have outgrown the shells but i can still see blood in the membrane veins, so they aren't ready yet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom