Muscovy eating eggs

Genipher

Songster
11 Years
Jan 9, 2013
I have 4 hens and a drake. All less than a year old. Gals laid eggs...started off with 10 in the nest. Then one of the hens decided to set. She was doing great for 3 days and then today I noticed she's off the nest and we're down to 2 eggs!

Found some shells that looked like they'd been pecked and when my daughter tossed them into the yard one of my Muscovy hens ate the shells. Just gobbled them down!

This is my second attempt at having Muscovies and something ALWAYS happens to their nest or they dont hatch out ducklings..

What am I doing wrong?
All the ducks forage for grass, get duck feed, and BOSS. Am I supposed to give them oyster shells? Is there a nutrient I'm missing?

I've heard of chickens being egg eaters but not ducks...will she stop or will I need to cull her?

How much boss do they get? Cut that out, and yes, give them oyster shells.
About 1/2 cup for the 5 of them to share. Didn't realize it was bad for them. :oops:

Will the oyster shells stop the egg eating or is it a bad habit now? 😬

About 1/2 cup for the 5 of them to share. Didn't realize it was bad for them. :oops:

Will the oyster shells stop the egg eating or is it a bad habit now? 😬
It's not great but an ok treat in moderation.
Get some fake eggs to distract them for a while. They may be short on calcium or protein. I don't know if muscovey need different protein Than other ducks.

Back
Top Bottom