muscovy - silver/lavendar?

ian4379

Songster
8 Years
May 8, 2011
Australia
hi all again.

i saw that "aquaeyes" had written in another thread that he'd like to see a silver lavendar muscovy, thought i'd start a new thread.

i got given this bird on the weekend and my best guess is a silver lavendar, it is just a guess though, the proof will be in long term breeding. anyone have any other ideas on her colour? she wont be anything to do with the chocolate gene, we dont have it here in australia.

no2.jpg

no5-1.jpg

no4-1.jpg

no6-1.jpg

no5.jpg

she's next to a bronze here for a colour comparison
no1.jpg

Whatever she is, she's very pretty. That's about as close to white as I like, and is what I imagined Silver-Lavender would look like, though I can't see much difference between her and a regular Silver...maybe a more evenness in color? I think I remember seeing that the heads on Silvers are more noticeably darker than the rest of the body...but I'm not sure. If there isn't Chocolate in her, could it be possible that she is Silver-Bronze or Lavender-Bronze? Like you said, you'll have to confirm either way by breeding. And whatever she is, she's very pretty. Thanks for sharing.

smile.png

Last edited:
had some time to check out my newish ducks today, this girl had the sepia ring around the eye something i hadnt noticed before, black on the tip of her beak and feet. her feet are a "washed" out black/yellow. so i'm thinking lavendar/sepia, maybe with barring as a duckling, that might explain the diluted colour? i love a good colour mystery.

iajewel, i'd seen this bird on the other thread, very interesting, this is one reason why i love mussies and these forums, we might be able to figure out whats going on with these colours and document them! all from different corners of the globe.

that is in no way shape or form a Sepia. The chocolate lacing, the non diluted skin, and the total lack of khaki color indicates it hasn't seen a sepia gene in its entire family tree.
You have a silver duck with chocolate lace. Basically a chocolate silver

Last edited:
Quote:
But....he said the chocolate gene doesn't exist in Australia...so between the two, one must be mistaken. 1) Is it possible that chocolate exists but gets misidentified as Sepia, despite the difference in inheritance? 2) What about Silver-Lavender-WildType, as opposed to Silver-Lavender-Dusky? Is it possible that having two dilutions of black pigment allowed the traces of brown normally seen in wild-type muscovies to seem more predominant?

Either way, I still maintain that she's a very pretty duck.

wink.png

That is not a sepia. How can chocolate not exist in Australia? If they have black, they most liker have blue and chocolate, it would be harder to avoid it then not.

Here is a picture of my hen that is the younger US version of your duck. I have 3 of these. 2 WHITE, no doubt they are white. One a light blue with the same markings. Given that sepia is to date unrecognized in the US, one can assess that this is probably not sepia. That and the fact it DID NOT change the SKIN, and its lavender with red AKA ( CHOCOLATE) lacing.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Back
Top Bottom