Muscovy, the underground black market duck.. a rant

iajewel

Songster
11 Years
Oct 22, 2008
Corning IA
Have you ever noticed that almost no hatchery carries Muscovy? On line bird auctions don't sell Muscovy. Have you ever wandered why, then they are one of the most popular poultry, not just ducks.. but poultry in the US, that you can't buy them on line?

It doesn't take much research to figure it out. They are now considered "wild life" with in the US agriculture system. They can be sold as meat only, and eggs can only be sold for food. In short, you can use what you have, but its illegal to obtain new stock. No one cares, knows about or follows these laws for the most part ,but interstate hatcheries have no choice to to acknowledged and follow the laws. This means you won't see Muscovy ducklings anytime soon in any of the most popular hatcheries. Yes, I have seen a few, but they are fading fast.

What does this mean for those that show Muscovy? Or those that enjoy them as back yard breeding projects, or even for commercial meat farms? It means that in the near future Large "factory" farms will be the only ones licensed to own or breed the Muscovy, and that back yard farms can't trade breeding stock.. not legally. Like I said no one cares or is following these laws, they aren't enforced, they are however recently on the books.

The Muscovy has the largest range of color genetics of any other duck (or in their case.. duck like) species. This is allot of fun for the back yard breeder. They have the healthiest meat and a unique flavored meat. Something wonderful for farmers markets.

What will all this mean for those who love the Muscovy? Will we become known as the black market duck breeders? Will eggs become contraband? Sure sounds like it. For the first time in American history we have a real rebel duck.
I was wondering if anyone else had noticed that Muscovy were disappearing off of hatchery lists? If this continues, we small breeders will be the only supply of this unique bird.

I have noticed that. The only hatchery I know wanted like 65 dollars for a dozen hatching eggs
ep.gif
. Not even show quality. I've only had one scovy and he was truly unique. I personally prefer them over most mallard derived breeds.

HEHHEEE!!!

I will be selling black market choc muscovies next year under my trenchcoat at the nearest city street corner so expect me!!!
tongue.png

Considering that I am already a rebel by having the poultry that I do, I see no reason not to continue to be one by selling ducklings. One of the reasons I rushed to get my Muscovy flock started was the impending restrictions on the breed. I understand that the species is invasive but wouldn't opening a hunting season make more sense. It is after all the feral populations that are a problem. The government may want to see all these regulations come to fruition but I can't see them ever having the resources to enforce them. There is one hatchery I know of that still sells ducklings (only seasonally). They also aren't all white and they allow pick up so the backyard breeder could go and pick out the desired duckling which are available sexed and sold without a minimum. http://www.ridgwayhatchery.com/

I have noticed that there is no hatcherys with scoveys. The only two I have seen with them is southern farms hatchery, and efowl.com.

Quote:
Not native to TX, but their migration has MOVED to TX. They are native to South America, however were domesticated in Asia some 10K years ago. Thats when they were mixed with the comb duck.. but thats another story.

Quote:
I will be shipping eggs and selling ducks/ducklings this coming spring, just so some are available. Yes, I can get fined, but.. I don't want to see this breed become a "factory" breed only for meat. I would like to see the quality and diversity remain.

Back
Top Bottom