Must the breeds be in pairs?

ColbertCoop

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 23, 2012
Spokane, Washington
Hello! I read the "mixing breeds" thread already, but it didn't quite answer my breed question because they had more than one of each breed.
I'm getting ready to order our chicks and we are first timers at this. We're getting 8 chicks for egg laying. My question for the chicken pros here is: Can I have one of multiple breeds, or should I have at least 2 of each, or even more to make up my 8? I wanted them all to be different in appearance so my daughter could tell them apart and name them. Please let me know what you think, I appreciate your input. Thank you!

I don't know any reason you would need them to be in pairs. I have 5 chickens:
Araucana
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Barred Rock
Cornish Rock Banty
Turken

They do great together.

I was told not to mix a banty with the larger ones, but I got her at the same time and place as the Turken and they were already together and she was holding her own. It has been fine.

I think if you get pretty docile breeds, which, with your having your daughter involved I'm sure you will, it doesn't matter.

And I mixed mine for the same reason, so I could be sure to tell them all apart. I also wanted egg variety. :) (but 3 of them lay almost the EXACT same eggs.)

We are relatively new to chickens, too - just got our 10 in january. We have 5 ameraucanas, 2 barred rocks, 2 australorps, and 1 silver wyandotte. We just picked docile breeds and they get along great - just like they are sisters (well, we hope sisters!) I don't see any pairing based on breed. Hope this helps and good luck! Chickens are fun.

Back
Top Bottom