Mutant chick or not even a chicken chick?

jc12551

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
S.W. TN
This chick came as part of the Cackle Hatchery Surprise. With the surprise you can get ANYTHING Cackle sells as day old. When I got my box (hatch date 6/2/14) I scanned the chicks to look for any non-chickens. The two ducklings were obvious
lau.gif
. Lots of top hats and feather legged large fowl but nothing shouted "not a chicken." I separated them into four brooders: top hats, EE/lakenvelder/feather legged, duckinglings, and "other." This little one is in the other box. We call it ET because it is freaky looking. It wasn't until this week that it because obvious to me that it is either a mutant chicken or isn't even a chicken. It is actually smaller than most of the chicks in the "other" bin (seems to be a lot of sex links and a couple of wyandottes in there).

If it isn't a chicken chick then I really need to know what it is so I can feed it properly.

If it is a chicken chick then I need to know what breed it is.

Funny comb, started out all white, clean legs, four toes, yellow legs. It is white with black coming in on the wing feathers. In the picture it is really dirty because they spilled their water while I was at work and mucked up the brooder
sickbyc.gif

I don't know what that is but talk about a face only a mother could love. I think ET is a great name for it.

I don't know what that is but talk about a face only a mother could love. I think ET is a great name for it.
I know, right! I am worried it isn't a chicken and needs some other diet. I start all my chicks and turkeys on non-medicated game bird starter.

I think it's a turkey :hmm
If it is then it is a mutant. I have raised lots and lots of turkeys over the past four years and have never seen one look like this! It is very small, even as a chick. And doesn't have the little knob.

Last edited:
I'll have to go back and look through cackle again haha. That is one funky looking bird. My first thought was actually peafowl, but I dunno. I don't have much experience in anything but chickens!

I'll have to go back and look through cackle again haha. That is one funky looking bird. My first thought was actually peafowl, but I dunno. I don't have much experience in anything but chickens!
hmmm...a peafowl. I don't know anything about them. They are so expensive I didn't think Cackle would send one. I will have to check.

I know, right! I am worried it isn't a chicken and needs some other diet. I start all my chicks and turkeys on non-medicated game bird starter.

Why do you start all your chickens on "non-medicated game bird starter" vs a more traditional Medicated Chick Starter Grower Feed 18% protein? (Not to hijack your thread or anything, but I'm just curious, and want to do right by my babies). Thanks! And your mutant does look a little bit strange--but wouldn't it be grand if he turned out to be a peacock? I just ordered my Cackle Surprise this week, and it's shipping on 7/7. I've never ordered chicks through the mail before, is there anything special you need to do once you get them? Like special precautions/actions to make sure they have a good start (since I'm sure being born and thrown into a rickety box through USPS is pretty harsh)? Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom