Mutant chick or not even a chicken chick?

Looks like a slightly deformed chicken. Depending on the extent of damage caused by the deformity she might be able to live a normal life, might need some special care if the big lower beak makes it hard for her to eat. Might die early if something else is wrong internally. If she does not seem to be in pain I would just watch and see.

Last edited:
Why do you start all your chickens on "non-medicated game bird starter" vs a more traditional Medicated Chick Starter Grower Feed 18% protein? (Not to hijack your thread or anything, but I'm just curious, and want to do right by my babies). Thanks! And your mutant does look a little bit strange--but wouldn't it be grand if he turned out to be a peacock? I just ordered my Cackle Surprise this week, and it's shipping on 7/7. I've never ordered chicks through the mail before, is there anything special you need to do once you get them? Like special precautions/actions to make sure they have a good start (since I'm sure being born and thrown into a rickety box through USPS is pretty harsh)? Thank you!
1. My local store doesn't carry medicated game bird starter.
2. I am usually feeding turkey poults and chicks at the same time so having just one feed is easier.

It kind of looks like Quasimodo.
tongue.png

lau.gif

It defiantly looks like a chicken to me. I think it's a Serma, just a bit 'off' hahahah.
I don't think Cackle sells Seramas. But you are right, it is a bit "off" lol

Looks like a slightly deformed chicken. Depending on the extent of damage caused by the deformity she might be able to live a normal life, might need some special care if the big lower beak makes it hard for her to eat. Might die early if something else is wrong internally. If she does not seem to be in pain I would just watch and see.

I have no plans of dispatching the chick unless it is a quality of life issue.

Quote: That is good ^^. Hopefully nothing is wrong internally, then she'll grow up to be a relatively normal chicken, and will just look a bit odd.

You could maybe look into trimming some of that larger bottom beak if it ever gets in the way of eating or drinking normally for the little guy/gal. She might always be a bit awkward or 'derpy' but as long as she can do notmal chicken things I doubt she will care.

As for breed, possibly a Columbian Wyandotte, the comb does not look single, after all. Cackle has them in both Bantam and Standard sizes, too.

Last edited:
I looked at your chick pictures from when you recieved the surprise, and it looks like this one was one of the variations on black and white, yellow with a dark cast, there's one among those that looks slightly off, with a large lower beak, just like this chick, though it is less noticable because it was so little. That chick looks like a Columbian Wyandotte, so if that was the same baby, I think that might be what she is.

Edit:

Chick in the back in this one https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/...ys-hatchery-surprise-anybody-got-this-before/

Last edited:
I looked at your chick pictures from when you recieved the surprise, and it looks like this one was one of the variations on black and white, yellow with a dark cast, there's one among those that looks slightly off, with a large lower beak, just like this chick, though it is less noticable because it was so little. That chick looks like a Columbian Wyandotte, so if that was the same baby, I think that might be what she is.

Edit:

Chick in the back in this one https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/...ys-hatchery-surprise-anybody-got-this-before/
could be. Three have straight combs and are Lakevelders. I cannot account for one of them. But mutant chick's legs are yellow and these chicks have blackish legs. I also cannot account for the tiny white chick that I got. I know I lost one but for the life of me cannot remember which one.

Last edited:
I suppose we'll never know 100% for sure which chick she was. Leg colors can change but I can't find any pics of Columbian Wyandottes with darkish legs.The legs of that one chick do look orange under the dark wash as opposed to the Lakenvelders, which look pinkish. Could well have been the small white one, too, since you say little ET is small and the beak issue could have cropped up or worsened later on. Time will tell on the breed, no doubt XD.
Ah well, She sure is an unique chick, whatever she is :3.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom