Mutt Chickens and Combining Breed Names

HHandbasket

The Chickeneer
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
El Dorado County, California
Lots of us have cross-bred chickens due to having mixed flocks in our yard. A lot of people have Delaware x Easter egger and call it a "delawegger." I think that's pretty darn clever!

Have any of you other had any crossed breeds and come up with clever names for the crosses?

I have a pretty little isabel silkie, Honey, who is surprisingly my most reliable layer! Our cuckoo silkie, Roberto, mates her, but I have noticed that as the white faced black Spanish roos are coming into maturity, they have also taken a shine to her and have been mating with her. DH and I were talking the other day, and I mentioned it would be interesting to hatch out a couple of Honey's eggs and see what kind of crossed chicks we would get and oh, what would it be called if it were a cross between a Spanish and a silkie? He looked at me serious as a heart attack and said, "It'd be a 'spilkie'." We about fell out laughing!

So as I set eggs for the New Year's Hatch (I set them late, so they'll hatch on the 4th of January), I'm setting 4 of Honey's eggs, some of which may be fertilized by Roberto the silkie roo, or some of which may be fertilized by Fernando, the white faced black Spanish roo. I wanna see what a Spilkie looks like! LOL!

Anyone else come up with some interesting crosses and the weird names that ensue?

The problem with that is, when you start crossbreeding, the type and color is no longer set. Although there will be differences in every individual, in color, markings, type, etc, if you breed two pure Delawares together, all of the offspring will be recognizable as Delawares to other people. When you cross breed, you will get many different types, colors and marking in the offspring, especially when you start breeding the crossbred birds to each other. Your so-called delaweggers will probably look nothing like mine in only two generations, not that I would be bothered with producing mutts.
You would need many breeders over many generations, all with a knowledge of genetics, and all with a common goal to produce a consistent breeding type and color that others could recognize as a distinct breed. It has been done, but not by the casual backyard breeder. For examples, look in the British Standard of Perfection. They have recognized several breeds in recent decades which have been made up of crosses, but which are now true breeding, and they've given them the type of breed combination names that you're talking about.

I've got some and probably the only ones I'll ever hatch again are Pynafleurs. Mom is my Pyncheon hen , and the dad was my Mille Fleur D'uccle rooster. They are red like their dad but their feathers are identical to their mom like the darts on the black of her neck feathers. One has a little bit more white than the others. Nothing wrong with taking two breeds and trying to get a better chicken. I have a light Brahma rooster and with him I have three Easter Egger hens.

Easter Orpingtons.
lol.png

We are not big on genuine breeds in our flock. You can be what you want to be when you want.
wink.png

You can call them whatever you like as far as I am concerned. They are yours so do what you want to have fun with it. Serious breeders can be serious. Pet owners can have fun with it. The Silkie feathering gene is recessive, which means you need two copies for it to express itself. You won't see that effect in the first generation crosses. But you will probably be able to see some Silkie influence.

The best one I can think of is Gritsar's Traumahs, Those are out of a Turken rooster and Brahma hens.

You have the Showgirls. These are not first generation crosses because of that Silkie gene, but cross Turkens with their naked necks (which is dominant) with Silkies and in a couple of generations get a chicken with a naked neck and the silkie feathers. I'm not sure if they throw Polish in that mix to get a top hat.

I've tried to talk some people into mixing Silkies, Polish, Turken, and maybe Brahmas. The idea is to get a big buxom hen with a low cut top, the silkie feathering, nylons on the legs from the leg feathers, and a big fluffy hat. You could call them Saloon Girls instead of Showgirls.

Last edited:
You could always start a new breed by cross-breeding. You will need to get them to breed true and present it to the APA for them to enter it.

I've heard of the aloha chicken, which is a work in progress. This is all done by cross-breeding the most colourful chickens to make a certain look that the breeders want.

Quote:
You mean a Labradoodle isn't a real breed? LOL!

lol.png
My favourite: Pug-a-Poo. Honest to god. I actually bred this cross breed. Never called them a breed though. Specifically said they were mixed.

Some of the best dogs are mutts. As are some of the best chickens. People just want to know what to call their pets/livestock.

I get asked by neighbours: What kind of chicken is that? So I like to have names for them. Like that is my rhode island red, etc.

Back
Top Bottom