Mutt Chickens and Combining Breed Names

I think you can call your chickens whatever you want so long as it doesn't sound contagious. Anytime I see "Schnoodles" in the paper all I can think of is something best cured by a hot tea and a box of tissues!

well i've got a bunch of mutt eggs in my bator.......one will be a siciyandotte, or wyancup, or blue laced red wyandotte buttercup lol and a buff orpingdotte and blue laced red sex-link and hmmmmm a golden laced red wyandotte....and a black laced red austradotte.

I have some really, really interesting mutts in my yard. I have this one roo... his biological mother was part blue ameraucana, part blue penedesenca, and part French black copper marans. His father is part black copper marans and part mottled java. He is one of the prettiest roos I've seen! He has the hackles of the BCM, straight comb of a mottled java, beard of the ameraucana and penedesenca, and GORGEOUS black, copper, and gold tail and saddle feathers that catch that cool green and purple sheen in the sunlight!

Alas, though... we're gonna eat him.

Quote:
You mean a Labradoodle isn't a real breed? LOL!

lol.png
My favourite: Pug-a-Poo. Honest to god. I actually bred this cross breed. Never called them a breed though. Specifically said they were mixed.

Some of the best dogs are mutts. As are some of the best chickens. People just want to know what to call their pets/livestock.

I get asked by neighbours: What kind of chicken is that? So I like to have names for them. Like that is my rhode island red, etc.

I was being facetious. I think that these made up names are ridiculous, dogs or otherwise. When your neighbors ask, there is already a name for your crossbreeds. They call them mutts. That they'll understand. A made up combination name is likely to confuse them into thinking that there is a real breed of that name. They probably don't even know the names of the official breeds. Your combo speak is likely to go right over their heads.

Quote:
lol.png
My favourite: Pug-a-Poo. Honest to god. I actually bred this cross breed. Never called them a breed though. Specifically said they were mixed.

Some of the best dogs are mutts. As are some of the best chickens. People just want to know what to call their pets/livestock.

I get asked by neighbours: What kind of chicken is that? So I like to have names for them. Like that is my rhode island red, etc.

I was being facetious. I think that these made up names are ridiculous, dogs or otherwise. When your neighbors ask, there is already a name for your crossbreeds. They call them mutts. That they'll understand. A made up combination name is likely to confuse them into thinking that there is a real breed of that name. They probably don't even know the names of the official breeds. Your combo speak is likely to go right over their heads.

I have to disagree.

It is always good to know what your dogs background breeds are. What traits are common for what breeds.

I wasn't saying combine a name of a mutt. I said make up a breed in all it's own. You have no idea what my neighbours think. I really only have one 'mutt' chicken, and one production red. The rest are all pure. Really every breed was a mutt at one time. Dog or chicken. You shouldn't discriminate against people for calling their animals what they wish. What's it to you?

You misinderstand aoxa. I just wrote recently on another thread that everyone is entitled to their own preferences. I stated mine. If keeping mutts works for you, more power to you. I don't have to like that any more than you have to like my opinions, but I never told anyone that they should prescribe to my views.
I wouldn't be caught dead with a mongrel animal on my property, of any species, but I accept that others like them.

Didn't mean to start an argument! I only meant this all in good fun! Some of us have mulitple breeds of chooks in our yards, and sometimes on their own, they will produce crossed offspring that are sometimes beautiful and interesting animals.

I have a lot of respect for those that keep purebreds in their yards. It is because of the people that stick to purebreds that we are even able to FIND purebreds when we want them! Eventually, we will probably whittle down to having a flock of only white faced black Spanish in our yard; but for the time being, having multiple breeds and many colors of eggs is a selling point that helps us sell our excess eggs and helps offset the cost of feed a little bit.

We are about to get rid of a bunch of our roosters all at once, though. They'll be heading to the freezer and eventually to the roasting pan.

Back
Top Bottom