Mutt Chickens and Combining Breed Names

How many people out there actually have a purebred cat

Well to answer the question, plenty, but if you're insinuating that the average cat is a mongrel, that's not correct. Domestic shorthair or Domestic Longhair cats are an anomoly among domestic animals. They are not mutts because they have not been produced by two different pure breeds. They are simply the domestic cat, developed from several wild species and domesticated centuries ago. All pure breeds have been created from the domestic shorthair or the domestic longhair, except a few hybrid breeds created in the last few decades. Don't confuse Domestic Shorthairs with British or American Shorthairs, which are now pure breeds with a closed studbook, but also descended from Domestic Shorthairs, albeit more recently and not as changed as most other breeds. The only other similarities that I can think of would be the domestic comet goldfish, and society finches. All other domestic animals are either color variations of their wild ancestor, such as domestic rats and mice, but still with the same general type, or all of the pure breeds have been changed in one form or another from the original ancestor(s). Cats, society finches and goldfish are pretty much the only domestic animals we have which have a generic form. Not a mongrel, yet not attributed to any specific breed or species. These animals of course have their own pure breeds and varieties in addition to their generic form, just like the cat.​

Quote:
Too funny!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Wow. Really? I can say that I have only met one 'purebred' cat. The rest were all domesticated shorthaired/or longhaired. The average cat is not pure. The most common cat is not actually a breed, it is a randomly bred cat with tabby colouring.

I guess you can call them whatever...but I have a bunch of really GREAT chickens the I call "Robins." They are iridescent black on the back and have red breasts and some have top hats--they have black legs. The weird thing is that almost all of their offspring are hens...I have been working on them for 3 years now...hey, watch the SOP for me will ya?
lau.gif
idunno.gif
Terri O

Quote:
Then, perhaps this is not the thread for you. These folks are having fun and there is nothing wrong with that. I seriously suggest that this thread not be turned into an argument. And I do mean seriously.
waiting3.gif

Carry on.

I love all my mixed breed pooches! We have a pomapoo, a shih tzu/pekinese, and a collie/slash/neighbor dog... all are super pets that my children adore! I did get them spayed/neutered tho... I really didn't want to have to explain to people that we had shih-poos....
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom