My Attempt at a Dual Purpose Heritage Flock

This is an update I did not want to make. A few weeks ago around dinner time a fox got into my chicken yard. They took out about 22 birds in no time, most of them the heritage birds I have been breeding and documenting in this thread. It was really hard to see all my hard work and ideas strewn in pieces across the yard. I have 11 birds left in my flock, and a few sex-link meaties left. A few of them are heritage. I also ordered another batch of NHs from freedom ranger to grow out and start breeding again next year.

I also just bought 200ft of hardware cloth and am in the process of skirting the entire yard. Hopefully that will fix the problem.
That is terrible news. A similar thing happened to me years ago. I had bought a trio of very expensive birds an hatched 13 chicks. The chicks were over half grown when I went out one morning and all 16 were dead. It's heart breaking and so frustrating!

I can give you some data on mine if that helps.
I butchered 4 Nh Roos yesterday @17 weeks. Weather and projects let them go a month longer then I had wanted too.
Very good, they look meaty. I just made some lemon chicken, I watched this video, but made my own sauce with bottled lemon juice, vinegar, water, sugar, and corn starch to thicken.
I dredged the chicken pieces in corn starch and mixed in one egg, so it was wet when I dropped it in my fryer. Its something everyone must try. I am glad I took a chance. I was getting tired of roasting.

Last edited:
Has anyone on here kept the SL hens to determine their laying rate?
I have been planning on doing this cross for the last two years I’ve been in med school and am just now able to execute it. Btw, I am so glad I found this thread.
I plan on buying NH’s from Whiskey gulch, FR, and a local breeder.
Delawares from Deer run, dawn ridge and MM.
I plan on primarily doing the SL and keeping Roos for meat and hens for laying. Very curious to see what the laying rate of this cross is.

The weight of the EE/Brahma Hen I kept back.
20220318_135806.jpg

How is the breeding going? I just reached the end of this thread and what a curve ball to hit me on the 2nd last page, so sorry for your loss.

One thing I was going to ask is why do the sex link? It is not like you are killing the females. Why not just do the NH that grows much faster, eat the cockerels and sell the pullets at 5 weeks as layers?

How is the breeding going? I just reached the end of this thread and what a curve ball to hit me on the 2nd last page, so sorry for your loss.

One thing I was going to ask is why do the sex link? It is not like you are killing the females. Why not just do the NH that grows much faster, eat the cockerels and sell the pullets at 5 weeks as layers?
I think it's partially hybrid vigor, but moreso just knowing and being able to sort what you've hatched right away, plus the ability to simplify your brooding setup by marketing "guaranteed female chicks" and getting them out the door ASAP. There may still be chicks that don't sell right away, but it's less space and feed, and perhaps an earlier timeframe to start recouping costs.

But I'm speaking as someone who hasn't actually done this whole thing yet.

Back
Top Bottom