My Attempt at a Dual Purpose Heritage Flock

This is an update I did not want to make. A few weeks ago around dinner time a fox got into my chicken yard. They took out about 22 birds in no time, most of them the heritage birds I have been breeding and documenting in this thread. It was really hard to see all my hard work and ideas strewn in pieces across the yard. I have 11 birds left in my flock, and a few sex-link meaties left. A few of them are heritage. I also ordered another batch of NHs from freedom ranger to grow out and start breeding again next year.

I also just bought 200ft of hardware cloth and am in the process of skirting the entire yard. Hopefully that will fix the problem.
That hurts. And its always your best breeding stock that they take. Hopefully the skirting works.

Update on the rooster weight? You've got me hooked, I'm definitely going to order some from freedom ranger in the spring.
I can give you some data on mine if that helps.
I butchered 4 Nh Roos yesterday @17 weeks. Weather and projects let them go a month longer then I had wanted too.
The smallest bird I kept whole, fully dressed no neck or feet 6.5lbs. I did not take weights on the others but one was easily 8lbs. 2 birds worth of leg quartes came out to be 5.5lbs. The same 2 birds breasts came to 4lbs. Bone in.
20220906_162120.jpg

This is an update I did not want to make. A few weeks ago around dinner time a fox got into my chicken yard. They took out about 22 birds in no time, most of them the heritage birds I have been breeding and documenting in this thread. It was really hard to see all my hard work and ideas strewn in pieces across the yard. I have 11 birds left in my flock, and a few sex-link meaties left. A few of them are heritage. I also ordered another batch of NHs from freedom ranger to grow out and start breeding again next year.

I also just bought 200ft of hardware cloth and am in the process of skirting the entire yard. Hopefully that will fix the problem.
Rotten foxes.... SSS

I can give you some data on mine if that helps.
I butchered 4 Nh Roos yesterday @17 weeks. Weather and projects let them go a month longer then I had wanted too.
The smallest bird I kept whole, fully dressed no neck or feet 6.5lbs. I did not take weights on the others but one was easily 8lbs. 2 birds worth of leg quartes came out to be 5.5lbs. The same 2 birds breasts came to 4lbs. Bone in.
View attachment 3250723
I should mention they have been on a maintainence ration for the last month +. They were still in with the hens and I want them thin enough to start laying. Could easily have put another pound on them.

I should mention they have been on a maintainence ration for the last month +. They were still in with the hens and I want them thin enough to start laying. Could easily have put another pound on them.
That's great! Are the also from freedom ranger hatchery? I'm definitely getting some soon or in spring. What feed did you use and how much? How much do you feed for maintenance?

That's great! Are the also from freedom ranger hatchery? I'm definitely getting some soon or in spring. What feed did you use and how much? How much do you feed for maintenance?
Yes from FR. I was feeding them a local mix, nongmo soy free 18%. I think there was a doz total? They were getting am and pm 3/4 of a 3 qt scoop soaked. They did have access to the layer flocks feed but that was also measured and their roo protected it pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom